Teething Troubles

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 am

hi,,I will put up some links that will bring you to the lessons(free ones),,here's the first and after that I will edit this post with others,,after finding them..

Just click the link..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

not a free one but a good and nice one.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

A free one,,,this is great by knowing the one intro chord,,when you play this chord you can let people guessing which song this is..

Also a free one that introduces you to a bass pluck and some finger strumming style that James Taylor also does(I think they also call it banjo style),,it is a level 5 but you can go on it measer by measer...

familyman4

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 am

I'm tempted by the new Nick Drake stuff - been a huge fan since ... forever. Might leave it for a few months though.

More beginners suggestions welcome

You are getting some great advise from fellow TGer's. I was just going through the post and comments and wanted to encourage you not to leave it for a few months. You mentioned that you have been an on & off player for 30 years. This is an unfortunate trap that many of us have fallen in to. Do yourself a favor and hang in there! Find a buddy to play with, work on songs that are only 3 or 4 chord songs, do whatever it takes to get over this hump.

You have found the best site to help you. Now it's just a matter of time and practice :) I like the old saying that "if it were easy, everyone could do it"

Enjoy yourself!
Bart

pyewacket

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

Wow! What a great group of people you are here on TG. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and words of support and encouragement.

Willem – glad to see that I’m not the only one working on “You Can Close Your Eyes” by JT. Hope you’re having fun with it. Thanks for all the links. I think I know where I’m going now.

Familyman4 – thanks for the pep talk … I needed it. I detect a kindred soul. I will stick with it and use TG to the max. How can I possibly fail with guys like you supporting me :)

PS: I had a breakthrough (or an epiphany if you wish) with “Going to California” last night. I think I’m over the hump and on my way to playing a half decent version of it. Still a long way to go but I detect light at the end of the tunnel.

willem

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm

pyewacket wrote:
Wow! What a great group of people you are here on TG. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and words of support and encouragement.

Willem – glad to see that I’m not the only one working on “You Can Close Your Eyes” by JT. Hope you’re having fun with it. Thanks for all the links. I think I know where I’m going now.

Familyman4 – thanks for the pep talk … I needed it. I detect a kindred soul. I will stick with it and use TG to the max. How can I possibly fail with guys like you supporting me :)

PS: I had a breakthrough (or an epiphany if you wish) with “Going to California” last night. I think I’m over the hump and on my way to playing a half decent version of it. Still a long way to go but I detect light at the end of the tunnel.
Your welcome,,,when you film your self and upload the video there are some people here who can give very good advice(including Neil Hogan..lol),,

Advice can be ,such as.. keep your strumming hand moving(neverstop it),,or playing in time,,or slow down,,or more sustain on the notes(for fingerpickin)..accents..etc

You will see your improvement will take a run after an upload..

daryl

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 pm

We also had a fun thread a while back called "Busking 3- or 4-Chord Songs" where most of the songs posted there were simple, fun, campfire songs. Perhaps you'll find a song or two there....

Here's the link: http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... songs.html

auntlynnie

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:17 am

Hi Pyewacket, and welcome,
I'm jumping in a bit late here, but the others have already posted some good advice.
It is great having folks who have been around for awhile....the Busking 3 and 4-chord songs is a real find.

Honestly, I don't really have anything to add, except that I began just as you did....and picked some songs that I really love and have always wanted to learn, but then realized that they were a bit out of my league. I still keep going back to them, but I'm working on a lot of other pieces, and that helps me improve my technique until I can handle the more challenging songs.
Cheers,
Lynn

pyewacket

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 am

Auntlynnie - thanks for commenting. I'm going to take on Norwegian Wood as my rite of passage (thanks to AcousticAl for that) and hope to return to the harder stuff just as you are doing. I have chosen my next two songs and couldn't resist going for River Man by Nick Drake as one of them. I must be a glutton for punishment :)

tombo1230

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

pyewacket wrote:
Auntlynnie - thanks for commenting. I'm going to take on Norwegian Wood as my rite of passage (thanks to AcousticAl for that) and hope to return to the harder stuff just as you are doing. I have chosen my next two songs and couldn't resist going for Riverman by Nick Drake as one of them. I must be a glutton for punishment :)
Hi Pyewacket,
lots of great advice already as usual. I hope you are enjoying being part of the community here, everyone is very helpful and supportive as you have probably already found.

The only thing I would say to you is have your long term songs, the ones that are above your present capability, that you will conquer long term and have songs that are easier to work at, play and enjoy. Be persistant and try to practice every day if you can, even if only for half an hour, playing a little is better than not at all.

Enjoy TG it's the place to be! :)

Tom N.

michelew

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey there! Since you got a lot of advice and suggestions already, I just dropped by to say hi and welcome from the Netherlands!

Indeed, TG is the place to be, I just LOVE the site, hope you will too. :) :)

So you got into Riverman? Yeah i'm on it as well....what a beautiful and intense song. Let us know, or better show us, how you're doing on it. I'm sure Neil would love to see anyone tackling this one.

Anyway, have fun and happy playing!

cheers

Vanessa

pyewacket

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Tom and Vanessa. Thanks for stopping by and saying Hello.

I think it will be a while before I'm ready to subject the world to my rendition of River Man, but I will enjoy learning it. I'm going to tackle the other Nick Drake tunes too and then - hopefully - persuade TG to do some John Martyn stuff.

Dave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic