Teething Troubles

Feel free to get outside the box here.
pyewacket

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 pm

I've just signed up to the Target Lite programme and chosen my first two songs: Going to California and Close Your Eyes. Trouble is they've turned out to be a bit technical for me and I'm beginning to feel a little disheartened. I don't want to choose another two songs next month only to find that I'm not up to them. :(

Any suggestions for beginner level/introductory songs would be most welcome.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi pyewacket, nice to know you joined up. No despair, there are many good nature folks who can help out here.

When you ask, what is appropriate for a beginner, my question to you is, what is it you want to learn? It is a much more important and powerful question... as what you want is more powerful that what you think you can do (now).

Your fall back is, of course, all the beginner lessons which you also have access to. But stay on song with your dream, that is what will pull you through. I never followed the path I was supposed to, I followed the path I wanted for myself... looks like you are doing the same. Stay with it but use any help you can get.

Chris (sitting crossed-legged and doing his best Yoda impression)

daryl

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi there. You've chosen a level 5 and a level 6 song for your 1st two songs. That certainly IS challenging. Why don't you look at the "Free Lessons" (look for the link under the "Master Menu" in the left hand column) and see which level song might suit your abilities.....

dennisg

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Give us a sense of what you're able to do now, and whether you want to choose your two songs in order to learn a couple of songs that you've always loved ... or to stretch your abilities. Those two things don't always go together, although they can.

We're happy to help, but the more information you can provide, the better able we are to provide assistance.

- dennis

pyewacket

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks guys for your swift input. To answer your questions and give you a quick flavour of my goals ... I chose two songs that I love; I'm a huge Led Zepp and James Taylor fan. I'm looking primarily to learn a small to medium repertoire of songs (ones that I know and love) that I can then play well enough to allow other people to hear. I've been messing around on guitars - on and off - for about 30 years now but my skills are, to be perfectly honest, quite mediocre as I've never really practiced enough. I'm keen to improve and think TG can help.

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Level 5+ songs are good long-term projects.. But you need short-term easy ones as well.
Let people know what floats your boat. Fingerpicking? Simple strumming? Blues? There will be no shortage of suggestions.

I think the first song I seriously tried to tackle on TG was 'Angie' by The Stones. It's a level 7 if you try the chord solo version.. Definite long-term project!
That was 3 years ago!

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Ok I just looked at Zep & JT lessons and they're mostly level 4,5,6.

Still might be a bit high for short term success..

Let me mull for other tunes.

**edit- A few ideas..
'Norwegian Wood'- kind of a right-of-passage on TG for a while
'Heart of Gold', 'Needle & the Damage Done'' (or many other NY songs)
''You Can't Always Get What You Want'

pyewacket

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks for your consideration AcousticAl. I like the idea of undertaking the TG rite of passage and Norwegian Wood is a cool Beatles song. So that's one of my next two :)

I'm tempted by the new Nick Drake stuff - been a huge fan since ... forever. Might leave it for a few months though.

More beginners suggestions welcome.

dennisg

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:37 pm

If you happen to like Crosby, Stills & Nash, Teach Your Children is a level 2 song. It'll be fun to play it for other people because there are so many possibilities for vocal harmonies.

pyewacket

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 am

Thanks dennisg. I'll be sure to take a look. Not hugely familiar with C, B & N but always willing to expand my repertoire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic