Hallelujah Lesson

Feel free to get outside the box here.
celloguitarguy

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

Neil I am a new member and am trying Target Lite. After going through a number of free previews to select what arrangements of yours I would like to learn I selected Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen as one of my two monthly songs.

I downloaded the attachment TABS for three versions and then watched the lessons. I was really surprised to find that the solo arrangement that you play as the free preview is not the focus of the lesson but instead three simple arppegiated versions are covered in detail and the chord sequence and shifts of the solo arrangement is only skimmed in the last segment with no picking instruction or TAB for the melody line version.

I am really disappointed that you preview one version and then switch to a simple version for the lesson. If this is common in your lessons I will definitely drop my membership

willem

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm

celloguitarguy wrote:
Neil I am a new member and am trying Target Lite. After going through a number of free previews to select what arrangements of yours I would like to learn I selected Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen as one of my two monthly songs.

I downloaded the attachment TABS for three versions and then watched the lessons. I was really surprised to find that the solo arrangement that you play as the free preview is not the focus of the lesson but instead three simple arppegiated versions are covered in detail and the chord sequence and shifts of the solo arrangement is only skimmed in the last segment with no picking instruction or TAB for the melody line version.

I am really disappointed that you preview one version and then switch to a simple version for the lesson. If this is common in your lessons I will definitely drop my membership

Neil is not really learn you songs,,in every lesson(it is a song of course) he brought up it is al a bout skills that makes you a better musician,,also skills that you can
use in other songs,,we do have songs in the target program which they call chord melody songs(for example ''here comes the sun'') and for that the tab is written out..I know Neil plays sometimes in a preview a chord melody on that song but the lesson is diffrent and not intend to be chord melody tune,,I think he was teasing us a bit..

I can tell you that other lessons are not that way you find with ''hallelujah''..

unclewalt

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Early on in the site's history, Neil would play the chord-solo versions of some songs in the preview, and then the lessons would be on the campfire versions. This irritated and confused people, and the practice was dropped. At this point, the overwhelming number of lessons on the site aren't like that, but a few of the older ones are. In some cases, he has gone back and created a tab for the chord-solo version. "Landslide" is one I can think of offhand.

celloguitarguy

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks Walt I suspected as much after exploring more. Hopefully Neil might get around to posting some Tab indication of how he is adding the melody line here.

I like the material on this site better than other online lessons. I have been playing a long time ( I actually had a lesson with Rev. Gary Davis a few months before he died!!!). A singer I play with asked for this and I figured Neils arrangement was great and I could start with his TAB but it looks like I have to work on this some more and break out what he did

unclewalt

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I discovered this guy's YouTube lesson a couple of years back. It's not bad (though not nearly as good as Neil's chord-solo arrangement - it's pretty simplified, maybe overly so), and if you click through to his site, he offers a free tab for it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic