How well do you play Stairway to Heaven?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
cosmicmechanic

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 am

Last time I played what I knew of it was before TG, according to my "understanding" of tab found on the web, so I voted "somewhat".

Of course these TG surveys are both fun and scientific, verifiable in rigorously controlled double-blind studies, but ...

A musician friend, who works the guitar department in a music store, told me (through gritted teeth) that a good interpretation of STH is a rare thing,
although many people do think they play it well.

I really should dust STH off, relearn it with Neil's lesson, then go and sing badly on top of it at the guitar store !

Pierre

dennisg

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 am

Jay,

I was tempted to check your Not At All option, but that implies that I tried to play the song and failed miserably, given the phrasing of the question. In reality, it's not a song I've ever considered playing because it descends into that Robert Plant castrato section that I can't imagine myself singing.

sbutler

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:52 pm

haoli25 wrote:
You want that with or without 'bonus notes'????? :laugh: :silly: It is not a song that I play very often, but I can usually get from "embarrassing" to "Passable" in about 4 or 5 playthroughs. And I never play it in a guitar store. :)

Bill
Yup, me too Bill. When I was burning time in Memphis during a layover once, I rented a car, drove downtown, and parked at the Gibson Guitar plant. They have a show room with one of everything Gibson makes, so I had to play one of everything Gibson makes. Neils teaching showed up as I got kudo's from the girl behind the cash register. She commented how I had played for an hour and never played "Stairway to Heaven". She said the everyone who walks in the door picks up a guitar and plays it. I told her it was THE classic rock song and that everyone should learn it. She commented that she liked the song, but had heard it enough :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Scott

jayswett

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 pm

I am in the "somewhat" category myself. The reason I was thinking about this was that I was recently in my local guitar shop, pretty much just wasting time, and I heard someone playing Stairway to Heaven. The kid was probably 17 or 18 years old, and playing it very well. Aware of the Wayne's World scene, I quickly looked around to make sure we wouldn't be violating store protocol, and I pulled up a chair and he gave me an impromptu lesson. He was surprised that I hadn't already learned it, given that I was "so old" (his words, to which I took no offense). The episode just got me thinking about whether or not I was really out in left field for not having learned this song yet. Anyway, the acoustic guitar portion is fun to play. No question.

sbutler

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 pm

No matter whether you like playing the song or not, its got a lot of great techniques and chord changes within it for the acoustic player to work on. Another arrow in your quiver. :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 am

Yeah, I do think the song should be in everyone's repertoire......but it's true, enough is enough :S .......but still...you just gótta play this, I mean at least how to play it......it's a classic! :laugh:

I came across this performance the other day and it agáin blew me away, I mean how FANTASTIC the song actually is and in this case awesomely performed by Heart and a whóle bunch of other great musicians including Jason Bonham, son of the late John Bonham on drums! (Kennedy Center honors Led Zeppelin show)

It gave me the absolute chills!! :woohoo:

jayswett

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 am

Wow. That was aweseome. Thanks Vanessa.

dennisg

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Yeah, I do think the song should be in everyone's repertoire......but it's true, enough is enough :S .......but still...you just gótta play this, I mean at least how to play it......it's a classic! :laugh:

I came across this performance the other day and it agáin blew me away, I mean how FANTASTIC the song actually is and in this case awesomely performed by Heart and a whóle bunch of other great musicians including Jason Bonham, son of the late John Bonham on drums! (Kennedy Center honors Led Zeppelin show)

It gave me the absolute chills!! :woohoo:

You know, I was never a Led Zep fan, but I just loved this video. Thanks so much for posting it, Ness. It's interesting to hear how Ann Wilson's voice has lowered with age to the point where she's singing in Robert Plant's range now, but without his shrillness. I also love how kind and supportive Jimmy Page was throughout the song. After seeing this, and the movie It Might Get Loud in Here, I get the feeling he's a really nice guy. I may have to give this song some consideration to learn.

AcousticAl

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Used to play it ok. Sould come back to it and see how I do.

I'm remembering a student upload I did quite a while ago where Chris did one of his famous 'phantom singer' appearances on my Stairway upload.
I should see if it's still rattling around on TG somewhere..

jayswett

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Used to play it ok. Sould come back to it and see how I do.

I'm remembering a student upload I did quite a while ago where Chris did one of his famous 'phantom singer' appearances on my Stairway upload.
I should see if it's still rattling around on TG somewhere..
I vaguely remember that. Would like to see it again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic