Recommend a Lesson - What's the point

Feel free to get outside the box here.
sbutler

Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Tom & Walt, (and any of the concerned silent majority)

I can honestly say I feel your pain as far as Clap, or the next blockbuster instrumental goes. Needless to say these are my favorite things to play, which creates a multi-edged sword as far as creating lessons on them. You would not believe how stressful it was to finally tackle Classical Gas, although it was a long time ago now.

I have let myself fall into the trap where a masterpiece tune deserves a masterpiece lesson, which creates a big stumbling block, maybe just perceived but real enough in my head, that makes it hard to get out of the blocks. I keep feeling I need to get a little further ahead in everyday-type lessons to allow the breathing room and space necessary for the killer tunes.

The solution might be to bring back the installment plan approach. Maybe I'll just get the music the way I like it and put it out before I start the videos. In any case, I think about those types of lessons everyday and it shouldn't take much more prodding to put an end to the procrastination.

As an afterthought- maybe if Walt comes to camp we will set aside a little time for Clap ;)

Neil
Now that my shoulder is out of the immobilizer I can finally type well enough to respond. And Oh how I've wanted to respond to this one. So here it goes. Neil I think all of us are too far removed to understand what pains you go through day to day, trying to come up with something for everyone. I have advanced enough following you over the last few years, that I am no longer a beginner, but I would imagine thats were the majority of players are. From my perspective, what your doing works. Despite the anguish it may cause you (that we never see). As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I think the last song that I recommended was "Ruby's Eyes" and I know I may never see a formal lesson on it, but I also know how to get one if I really want it badly enough. I'm not worried though. If I got everything I wanted, I would have time to practice it all.
So don't sweat the little stuff, and its all little stuff. Keep up the good work. I appreciate it.

Scott

unclewalt

Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

One other thing: I would refrain from thinking of the "simpler" songs as not being worth learning because they're not chord-solo material or highly advanced in some other way. Of course, this all depends on where you're at in your learning, but for me anyway, a whole bunch of the simpler tunes have been worth learning (and not always so simple), including very recent ones, like some of the Dawes tunes, "Stormy Monday," "Song for Adam," the dreaded "Midnight at The Oasis," and others. In each case, there has been at least some little thing in there that has strengthened my skills in some way (or will do so when I get to them) - or else, they're just fun tunes to play, singing or not. I don't sing at all, myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic