Recommend a Lesson - What's the point

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dtaylor

Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

Nesh

Joe Bonamassa's acoustic verson of Driving Toward Daylight. Some folks will hate it I'm sure.. just like I hate MATO. I agree that we are all entitled to have and voice thier opinion - even if they are different than mine :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Neal

Sorry to all for posting my thoughts at the time. I really did not mean to cause such a ruckus! Neal - I understand your point of view and appreciate what you have done - and yes I was one of the original Target Members and do agree that you have exceeded what you committed to. You also found my use of "hating" the song curious. Well - to be honest probably too strong of a word but there are only a few songs that I have heard that annoy me to no end for some reason and MATO is on that list.
I still think that some consideration should be given to providing some feedback on songs suggested that rise above some threshold of votes. If the song does not fit in the plan - that's ok too.
Looking at some of the responses in this thread - you have some really loyal members.! And to set the record straight I did not mean my comment about dropping my subscription was intended as a threat - that was not the intent. I'm still a member and will continue to be until such time as I feel personally that I'm not recieving value to me. If that ever happens I'll thank Neal for all the fine lessons I have valued and move on. Nothing personal.

JHall

Fri May 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Well I've listened to the song and I can really see why you like that song, it's beautiful actually....! :)

Couple of guitars in there, which one would you like to play?

btw.....it's 'Neil'. ;)

mshrad wrote:
Nesh

Joe Bonamassa's acoustic verson of Driving Toward Daylight. Some folks will hate it I'm sure.. just like I hate MATO. I agree that we are all entitled to have and voice thier opinion - even if they are different than mine :laugh:
Edit: Or do you mean the acoustic version?

Music Junkie

Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I've listened to the song and I can really see why you like that song, it's beautiful actually....! :)

Couple of guitars in there, which one would you like to play?

btw.....it's 'Neil'. ;)

mshrad wrote:
Nesh

Edit: Or do you mean the acoustic version?

I am going to have to check into this guy a bit more, that song is pretty bad ass.... ;)

J

unclewalt

Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Seems like a decent-enough tune, but it's incredibly simple. Four or five basic chords that change once per measure. A lesson on it would be fine with me (at least, I certainly wouldn't complain about it), but there are a whole bunch of lessons here that teach essentially the same thing, so I don't see how it would further anyone's skills or knowledge. "Midnight At The Oasis," even if you hate it, has several aspects to it that will do just that. But it's also easy to ignore its presence.

Bonamassa's whole oeuvre seems aimed more at providing a showcase for band interaction and singing, as well as lead-guitar playing, than at the kind of thing that generally lends itself to lessons here (stuff that will in some way further our skills on the acoustic guitar). I frankly find his stuff kind of dull, but that's no doubt at least partly due to my having been steeped in blues music from a very early age. At this point, it takes something unique to get my attention in that genre. And his more mainstream rock stuff is just that: generic as hell. He's a very good guitarist, but so are lots of people.

unclewalt

Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm

By the way, I didn't mean to touch any nerves here or anything. I mean, we're talking about guitar lessons, right? I just find this complaint, which has been lodged a few times now, to be very odd for the reasons I cited.

ffsooo3

Fri May 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Yes UncleWalt, you've absolutely made your point, as has others. Just let's change the vibe of this thread! ;)

unclewalt wrote:
By the way, I didn't mean to touch any nerves here or anything. I mean, we're talking about guitar lessons, right? I just find this complaint, which has been lodged a few times now, to be very odd for the reasons I cited.

suziko

Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 pm

In the spirit of changing the vibe of this thread: One positive that came for me from reading through this thread was that it reminded me that I wanted to learn to play "Year of the Cat!" So I sat down and learned it yesterday and today (just the chords and the signature lick)! That's been a lot of fun to add to my repertoire. Now if only I could sing it....

unclewalt

Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm

suziko wrote:
In the spirit of changing the vibe of this thread: One positive that came for me from reading through this thread was that it reminded me that I wanted to learn to play "Year of the Cat!" So I sat down and learned it yesterday and today (just the chords and the signature lick)! That's been a lot of fun to add to my repertoire. Now if only I could sing it....
I can't sing, so that's not an issue for me, but I was shocked -- shocked! -- to realize how much I like playing that. I'm learning the leads now, and also just improvising over the chords. It's a really nifty progression. I think I was about 13 when Stewart was big, and I couldn't stand him. I'm still not the biggest fan of his whispy, somewhat fey vocal delivery, but it works on this and some of his other tunes, and he's just a great songwriter.

haoli25

Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm

It has been a little while since I added anything to the "Recommend A Lesson" section. I do refer to it often though. It has been a great source of song suggestions for me. I can't tell you how many times I have either found a song that I had forgot about or an arrangement that grabs my attention. I start learning that song immediately. If you are new at learning songs on your own, 'Song Surgeon' is a great tool to use. If Neil does post a lesson on a song I have learned from the list, I just compare his version with mine and pick the better of the two. (WOW, that sounds pretty good!) Okay, okay, I re-learn the song using Neil's version. :) :) :)

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic