Finished the free beginners course...wondering what the next set of lessons looks like...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
ajhull

Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 am

I am very close to signing up for the Target program, but I would like to get a sense of what I can expect for the lessons after the free beginners set that I just finished over the past 3 weeks.

Is there a set for that follows the beginners set which will take me through the steps of progressing (i.e. how to play the harder chords, bar chords, changing the key of the guitar and when to do it and why etc etc).

Are lessons that follow as well put together as the beginners set?

Thanks for your help in advance!

willem

Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 am

ajhull wrote:
I am very close to signing up for the Target program, but I would like to get a sense of what I can expect for the lessons after the free beginners set that I just finished over the past 3 weeks.

Is there a set for that follows the beginners set which will take me through the steps of progressing (i.e. how to play the harder chords, bar chords, changing the key of the guitar and when to do it and why etc etc).

Are lessons that follow as well put together as the beginners set?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi,,Don't know if I am much of an help, but anyway,, I am here from the beginning so I followed the TARGET from the beginning and it was a great build for me(saw every lesson that came,,well most of them),,there is also a TARGET lite and maybe you should start there and have a look,,you finished the free beginners course!! then it should be very handy to get advice from Neil to go further( which song/lesson/skills etc..),,Or just signe up for TARGET and feel overwelmed,or distracked easely,,or just learn the songs you want(if they are there yet)

Willem

willem

Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am

Well what can I say, in Target you will absolutely find what you need to get your playing to any level. The next step as in, harder chords, changing keys, scales, modes etc. etc. will continue in the Acoustic Genius Series, that alone has a ton of info and is absolutely worth the costs.

Other than that, around 500 songs to pick from. Each of them will get into specific techniques, theory and so on. Joining Target is the best thing I ever did for my guitarplaying. And I have been playing for a long time, still Target keeps fulfilling all my needs to become a better guitarplayer and beyond that.

So jump in, you can try for a month, if you're not happy (which i just can't imagine), you can cancel your subscription any time, no questions asked.

All the best and have fun!

Vanessa

michelew

Thu May 09, 2013 4:51 pm

All of Neil's lessons are wonderfully taught, really detailed, interesting and give you what you need to get a song under your fingers. Even advanced players in the community who know the song, generally find they learn something from each one of his lessons. He's a font of interesting music history facts and trivia too.

The Acoustic Genius Series is very structured and will keep you busy and learning for a good long while. You'll find that you dip in for s while and learn, leave it for a little while while you learn songs and practice what he's taught, return to the AGS, ... You get the picture.

TARGET is a HUGH (oops! make that HUGE! B) ) library of learning resources and it's up to you to work out the path you want to take. There are sets of lessons for specific styles, specific artists, other things like reading music and of course a LOT of songs. If you want to get into fingerpicking or blues (for example) there's a series of lessons that will get you on your way. Neil teaches chords and theory and techniques through songs. Each one is rated in difficulty, so if you're just beginning stick to the 1-3. The more difficult, the more barre chords and other trickier chords, the more difficult the techniques, the fancier the timing, etc.

Look through the list of lessons in the menu. I'm guessing there will be a STACK of things that wet your appetite. TARGET is a lolly store of songs, you'll have trouble deciding which ones to concentrate on.

There is TARGET Lite as suggest or the option of signing up for a short time. (In truth I've been here so long I don't know what the options are now).

I've progressed more than I expected to all because of Neil's fabulous teaching and enthusiasm and through the support of the community. Neil is a teacher amongst teachers, the guru.

I guess I'm a TARGET fan. :)

Have fun. I hope we see you driving in and reaping the benefits.

Michele

PS - a big hello from Sydney.

dennisg

Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 pm

michelew wrote:
TARGET is a HUGH library
Jackman?

Grant?

Hefner?

I haven't seen a library of Hugh Hefner's work since I was a teenager.

coomba

Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 pm

G'day ajhull

Welcome to TG from Oz.

To help you along I would check out The Techniques Lessons ( In the Tips,Techniques,Theory and Styles) Up the top of the page.
You will find some fantastic lessons with all the things you said you are looking for to get you progressing in the right direction.

Also you can check all the other lessons and songs available both in the free section and the Target area. They are all graded from 1 to 9 , Start at a lower numbers (eg Lucky Man (1) is a Great place to start IMHO and a good insight to what Target lessons are like), as they usually have simpler chords and techniques and then just keep challenging yourself with more difficult songs.

As far as joining Target, All I can say is that joining up was the best thing I ever did to learn how to play guitar and I am very confident that I am not alone when I say this.

So good luck and feel free to ask questions if you get stuck, someone will always help you around here.

Cheers
Scott

coomba

Thu May 09, 2013 5:17 pm

There ya go I leave my computer for a few minutes and Michele had already said it all.

What I tell you about helpful people around here.

michelew

Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm

dennisg wrote:
michelew wrote:
TARGET is a HUGH library
Jackman?

Grant?

Hefner?

I haven't seen a library of Hugh Hefner's work since I was a teenager.
Oops! B) Haha! Funny man. I'll take Jackman thanks. :)

Perhaps HUGH doesn't capture the essence of TARGET. I don't recall seeing any centrefolds in the lesson packs....with discretely positioned music stand/guitar... :) :P

But who knows WHAT Neil will include in the future.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic