Did he learn Space Oddity from TG?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Music Junkie

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:24 am

Al:

That was very well done! I agree with Bill about the production, playing and signing. You have become very comfortable in your performances. Always enjoyable. B)

Jason

daryl

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am

Yep. VERY impressive. Nice effects on the backing vocals.

jimcjimc

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 am

Al,
That was great!
Jim

willem

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm

haoli25 wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
Well Hadfield might not have learned "Space Oddity" on TG- but I DID! :)

Unfortunately I should have learned it BETTER, as I screwed up and played the wrong chords during the intro (I'll stay after class Mr. Hogan).

That was excellent!!!!!! You rock, Al. The playing, singing, and production was some of your best work so far. I really enjoyed your performance. Thanks for sharing your video.

Mohawk was taking the day off, huh? :) :)

Bill Image

Al,,all what Bill said and his hands,,man so beautifull,,,

AcousticAl

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Bill.. Bill. You gotta have more faith in the little bugger. 4:05 in the video. Turn up the audio.

MJ- Thanks. This one fit nicely and the pieces just seemed to come together.

Daryl- The effects on some of the backing vocals are actually a canned guitar effect on the MicroBR that I applied to the vocals while I sang the harmonies. Worked well.

Jim & Willem- Glad you liked it!

Craig

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Al,
GREAT job! Very well done all the way around. Wonderful effects. I have flash backs of sneaking into my older brothers room when he left the house and putting on his Bowie albums! I think a song that you would nail with your vocals would be "Rock and Roll Suicide". No pressure, just saying... :)

Craig

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 am

Al, when I saw a Bowie show as a teenager in the '70's, he did "Space Oddity" from an open capsule moving over the audience, hanging from a crane.

Funny to think that Dolby tape decks impressed us so much back then ... to cut out the audio tape hiss noise, just eliminate part of the sound of the recording !
Great concept !?!?!

So, seeing you perform this so well in your compact home techno capsule just blows me away ... man, we are quite far from splicing tapes together.

And it's SO obvious that you are progressing a lot, both playing and singing. That's an understatement.

Cool !!!
Pierre

lueders

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 am

Amazing, Al! Amazing!! :ohmy: :) :) :)
(I love this tune; longtime favorite!)
I know this seems to come up everytime we see one of your videos but, Dude the polish and sophistication on your performances is
FANTABULOUSLY FABTASTIC! Like others have said, just superb in everyway.

Boy I wish I could sing like you!

Random Thought: Is there a Busking Bowie thread yet? This needs to go in there. I was thinking of firing up the elec. and giving Rebel Rebel or Ziggy a try.

Great Job, Al! Thanx for posting!

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 am

Craig- Rock and Roll Suicide? Sounds familiar but why don't I know that song? Need to look it up and see if it grabs me.
Might be the topic of a new thread though.. what makes you choose a song to record for upload?

Pierre- I've never seen Bowie in concert but that would have been something to see for sure! And you're right about how far we've come with technology. Actually scary! But to be honest, the effects and layering make it seem more complicated than it was to make. Really only did 3 tracks. The first one was main guitar and vocals in one take. The second pass was harmonies. The third was the guitar solo. That's it.

Cori- Thanks very much. Comments like yours and others in this thread make it worthwhile to do these videos.
Would love to see your version of any Bowie tune!

tombo1230

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Class act Al. Great job, lots of creativity. :) B)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic