Grateful Dead - Ripple intro question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
rludym

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 am

Hi
Newbie here and trying to figure out the tab for the intro and cant get the Up/down strum pattern figured out.....for example..how does measure 3 differ in strum compared to measure 11??

also, in the image I circled the rhythm notation (think that's what this is) and why does this one look more like an L and the other are just straight lines. Image

willem

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 pm

hI,, I hate tabs without also standard notation above it,,its a must to know or read some standard notes such as 1/4 -1/8- 1/16..

The straight line in the tab are 1/4 notes and with one flag are 1/8 notes , 1/4 notes you can split in two 1/8...etc

measer three if your hand strums the tempo from the 1/4 notes could be D DU DU fake U..

measer 11 DU fake U DU fake U.............the fake ones are in this case a down but you dont hit the strings,,keep your strumming hand moving,,don't stop it

It is possible that the song must be played diffrent but did'nt listen to it I just watched the tab..

Hope it help,,if I am wrong they correct me...but try it or become a target member ,,our teachers can tell you better then I do.

Good luck and welcome from the Netherlands,,

Willem

Edit: I have to say a little bit sorry 'cos I've seen the lesson now and know now the intro is a bit strumming and pick out some melody notes and Neil tells it perfectly.. maybe one more suggestion,,the program Gpro is a very good tool for playing along with..

TGNesh

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Well firstly.....do you have an understanding of how the right hand works? When you strum a song (even when you pick out melodynotes) you're right hand needs to go up and down áll the time. Down on the 'beats' and up on the 'and's, so 'down up down up down up down up' equals: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.

So it's really important to count and to make sure you hit the strings or note at the right moment and with the right 'down' or 'up'.

So like measure three is:

I'll bold when you should play:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and So you're 'missing' the up at the 'and' of beat 1, as well as the 'down' on beat 4. Can you follow me?

Or measure eleven:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and In this one you're 'missing' or 'faking the 'down' on beat 2, same for beat 4

Remember, 'down' on the beats, 'up' on the 'and's.....

Like Willem said, a straight line is a whole beat, with a flag half a beat.

If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry if it doesn't, then please check the Beginner's Genius to get the basics of quarter, eight and sixteenth notes as well as this keeping your right hand moving áll the time.

Cheers and welcome from the Netherlands as well! :)

rludym

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:32 pm

thank you both - that makes sense!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic