Going to California Question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
skitoolong

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I bought the Going to California Lesson and I'm not clear on a piece of notation.

On the tab the first measure starts with a pinch (I think that is what is called)

--7---
------
------
------
------
--0---

I get that.

The next 3 measures have the 7 in parenthesis:

-(7)--
------
------
------
------
--0---

What does this mean? How do I play that? I'm not having problem with the shape, just the picking.

Thanks,

Jeff

TGNeil

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Jeff and welcome to TG,

In tab the parenthesis usually mean the note just continues to ring, meaning hold it down but don't hit it again. Quick answer and I have not checked the tab but that's my 1st take,

Neil

skitoolong

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks Neil.
Great lesson. First one of yours for me. Many thanks.

Thank you for the reply, I get that a lot of this song is by feel, but I just started to learn Travis picking and this is 3rd on my list. What confused me was not being familiar with the notation and that it is different for that note in each of the four measures of the bridge. I'll give it a shot with your response in mind.

Thanks again.

Jeff

willem

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 am

skitoolong wrote:
Thanks Neil.
Great lesson. First one of yours for me. Many thanks.

Thank you for the reply, I get that a lot of this song is by feel, but I just started to learn Travis picking and this is 3rd on my list. What confused me was not being familiar with the notation and that it is different for that note in each of the four measures of the bridge. I'll give it a shot with your response in mind.

Thanks again.

Jeff

I forgot by who is the song(band),,but is there also standaard notation above the tab??

Willem

skitoolong

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 am

Led Zep

Yes there is but I have not learned to read standard notation yet.

willem

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:25 pm

skitoolong wrote:
Led Zep

Yes there is but I have not learned to read standard notation yet.

Thats a pity 'cos the standaard notation could tell you that the note sounded over to the next measer(so you can't release your finger yet)

Willem

skitoolong

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm doing the best I can. There are only so many hours in a day and I get about an hour a day as my own right now.

I started playing two years ago with no music background ever.

I'll pick it up as I go, and when I have some time that I can devote to it I will.

Thanks just the same.

willem

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:08 pm

skitoolong wrote:
I'm doing the best I can. There are only so many hours in a day and I get about an hour a day as my own right now.

I started playing two years ago with no music background ever.

I'll pick it up as I go, and when I have some time that I can devote to it I will.

Thanks just the same.

An hour a day is enough,,

A great tool is the program guitarpro (Gpro),,it can playback the tab which is given with the lesson,,you can slow it down also..

keep rockin!!!

Willem

wiley

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:22 pm

willem

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:41 am

wiley wrote:
Jeff,

I'm sure Willem means no harm or malcontent, just the opposite.

Tablature comes up 'short' in some areas like exact timing and certain other things like 'ties'. The 'standard' notation would show the (7) is a 'tie-note' beginning in the end of the 23rd measure and 'ringing' through to the beginning of the 24th at which time the sixth string is played (open) and so on. Simply put, (x) is a way TAB shows this.

There are many a day when I would love to get an hour in.

OH sure I just wanted to be a sort of help,,thanks Wiley...

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic