Song selections

Feel free to get outside the box here.
auntlynnie

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Ness,
Something like that? No, pretty much exactly like that!
Excellent.
Lynn

kwadams88yahoocom

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 pm

tgvanessa-(hope the name is correct)

That was excellent! Can you show me the pattern you are using there?

Thanks Keith

TGNesh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks Lynn, that's good to hear! :)

auntlynnie wrote:
Ness,
Something like that? No, pretty much exactly like that!
Excellent.
Lynn

TGNesh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 am

Hi Keith,

Yes, my name is Vanessa and I work for TG as in creating guitarlessons for the site. I also like to hang out and help out on the forum, so yes, 'In Color' got my attention.

However, as I said in my original post, Jamey plays ramdomly, as did I (accentuating a few notes and filler notes). There is no 'set' picking pattern, there is just a basic rhythm and a certain amount of beats in a measure, which you can fill up any way you want. Taking the path which Lynn and others have pointed out might be a very good idea as in how to develop to do that.

And the way Lynn played it, the travispicking-pattern, no better pattern to learn than that one. :) Willem's videos are also very good to listen to carefully, but I think you were already on that. ;)

Vanessa

kwadams88yahoocom wrote:
tgvanessa-(hope the name is correct)

That was excellent! Can you show me the pattern you are using there?

Thanks Keith

kwadams88yahoocom

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 am

I understand it is very random but if you could put your method in tab that would be very helpful! :)

Thanks

wiley

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 am

kwadams88yahoocom

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 am

I see what you are saying and I have been practicing the Fingerpicking 101 the Lynn discussed earlier... but from what I can gather there is something else going on within the picking that perhaps comes natural to Lynn and Vanessa but may not to others on here including myself. I was hoping that Neil from the beginning would make a slowed down zoomed in version of this tune or perhaps just the kickoff?? Who knows... I guess I'm on my own on this one??

unclewalt

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 am

Good lord.

auntlynnie

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Keith,
I understand your frustration. I can see both sides of this issue.
I used to learn pieces by taking tab and working, working, working on it until it was memorized and in muscle memory
The pieces that I did this with sound pretty good. I think that I have Deep River Blues up here on the site somewhere, so you can see what I mean.
BUT, and this is a really important but, even though it sounded fine, I didn't understand much about the music (what key I was in, what the chord progression was, etc).
What Neil has suggested to me is that I begin by learning the chord progression. Then add the (alternating bass notes). I'm currently doing exactly this on Hesitation Blues. Yea, I want to dive in and play it just like Neil, but I'm learning much more this way. And when I finally look at the Tab, I'll have a handle on the song to begin with, and maybe even develop some embellishments of my own.
Just my 2 cents....
Lynn

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:26 am

kwadams88yahoocom wrote:
I see what you are saying and I have been practicing the Fingerpicking 101 the Lynn discussed earlier... but from what I can gather there is something else going on within the picking that perhaps comes natural to Lynn and Vanessa but may not to others on here including myself. I was hoping that Neil from the beginning would make a slowed down zoomed in version of this tune or perhaps just the kickoff?? Who knows... I guess I'm on my own on this one??
I have trouble with various "picking patterns" as well. I have one or two down, and if I stray from them, it all falls apart. Sometimes those "patterns" work for a song, and sometimes they don't. When I am trying to learn a new song, once I get the basic chords down, I then try to figure out what they are picking, and I just flat cannot do that yet. I have gotten to a point where I can kind of emphasize a few notes to get closer and closer though. Ultimately, if you want to get a song as precise as possible, you have to either work at it diligently, or find someone who can figure it out and have them let you know what it is. I always fell into the latter category (still do sometimes). I am trying to break that habit, as I am hoping to be able to do it myself someday.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I like to have the proper chords/TAB and I like to try and stay as close to the original recording as I can. I am also trying to let that go a bit more, and make some of the songs my own. Not doing great at it, but I am making a few strides.

Stick with the lessons you are doing right now, and make this a longer term project. Use what Lynn and Vanessa have given you and see where you can get with it. If you get frustrated, set it aside for a few days and come back to it. If you can do that, it will certainly help you out in the long run. It seems that there are a few others showing interest in this song now, and it could very well become a lesson. I would love that, as I have always enjoyed this tune. Looked at it a long time ago and gave up.. :)

Maybe you could start a thread on this song by itself, and others might jump in and it could become a team project. We did that a few months ago with a Joe Bonamassa song, and it was fun. B)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic