Song selections

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGNesh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you very much Wiley, couldn't have explained it any better, and I absolutely can't wait to meet you too!! :cheer: :woohoo:

The John Prine-comment made me crack up, haha, good one! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wiley wrote:
Keith,

I know and understand we each learn in different ways, some are analytical (myself), some are visual, some are more literal.

Again, I'm not trying to say anything abusive, but....

First and foremost, this is not a "TAB" site, it's a 'learning' site. If all you want is tablature you are missing out on a whole big part of what this place is all about.

Having said that, Ness is very capable of producing a full lesson on the piece as she stated she may, it will take some time if she does so though.

Besides the fact that 'random' is pretty much that, random. Not so much fingerstyle/picking, but fingerstyle/picking. And yes, that remark is intended as stated.

Without going too deep, specifically, there are legal considerations and guidelines to follow. Lynn and Ness have given you a very good foundation and the places here within the site (you are a 'full' member and have access) as to how you can gain the knowledge for not only this particular song, but many, many others.

I am a big fan of "Red Dirt" music, like Jamey and his co-writing bud, Randy Houser, and have met several artist. One of them was once asked the same thing (in a live 'Songwriters Circle' type thing) about the specifics of one of his songs. His reply - "Hell, I don't know, I just know how to play it man". ?What key do you play it in? - "Whatever key my voice feels like that night, I just move the capo up or down".

A direct quote from John Prine - at and during a recent concert here in Dallas as he struggled with a capo "Thank God for capos, otherwise I'd have written everything in G"

To Ness and Lynn - you two, as usual, go over and above and I can not wait to meet up with the two of you in two weeks, what a pleasure that will be.

TGNesh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Then I wish you good luck in trying to get Neil's attention for this one, it is a beautiful song for sure. :)

kwadams88yahoocom wrote:
I was hoping that Neil from the beginning would make a slowed down zoomed in version of this tune or perhaps just the kickoff??

kwadams88yahoocom

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Okay Lynn I will try the Deep River Blues lesson and see how it goes.

Jason... finally someone that understands where I am coming from and you make some valid points. Perhaps i will start an In color thread and see where it goes?

Thanks!

willem

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm

kwadams88yahoocom wrote:
Okay Lynn I will try the Deep River Blues lesson and see how it goes.

Jason... finally someone that understands where I am coming from and you make some valid points. Perhaps i will start an In color thread and see where it goes?

Thanks!

I really understand why you want that song a lesson,,,if you love a song so much and don't know how to do it and you also know how it would look like if Neil(or Vanessa) add there breakdowns and give there!! insights of the playing...we all love the hundreds of lessons here and the tabs....

Okay the pickin is random but how nice it would be to pick it economical so we don't break our fingers...

willem

kwadams88yahoocom

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Right on! That's exactly what I am hoping for from this discussion.

Thank you!

willem

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:34 pm

kwadams88yahoocom wrote:
Right on! That's exactly what I am hoping for from this discussion.

Thank you!

If Ness could'nt keep away from it how would it be for Neil,,

Willem

wiley

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:08 pm

suziko

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Great song, Wiley! Yes, I know the original, though I also know Sarah Jarosz. She was on the cover of Acoustic Guitar magazine last year, I believe it was. She's quite a talent.

As for the subject at hand, I agree with you. It can be tempting to just want the tab handed to you- and it's not like I have never looked up tab online or asked a friend to help me out. But you gain so much more by trying to figure things out for yourself. And there is so much on this site that can teach a person how to figure out how to play many songs. Also, like I said at the beginning, we all want our favorite songs to be made into a lesson, but it's impossible for Neil or Ness to please every single member.

michelew

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm

suziko wrote:
Great song, Wiley! Yes, I know the original, though I also know Sarah Jarosz. She was on the cover of Acoustic Guitar magazine last year, I believe it was. She's quite a talent.

As for the subject at hand, I agree with you. It can be tempting to just want the tab handed to you- and it's not like I have never looked up tab online or asked a friend to help me out. But you gain so much more by trying to figure things out for yourself. And there is so much on this site that can teach a person how to figure out how to play many songs. Also, like I said at the beginning, we all want our favorite songs to be made into a lesson, but it's impossible for Neil or Ness to please every single member.
Gosh! Lots of good points here and in some if the other posts along a similar vein.

TGNesh

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:05 am

I do have quite a few opinions about random playing and tabs (i think they're quite the same as Neils), I'll leave that for another thread.

And Suzi is right, Neil or I can't please everyone by turning every recommendation into a lesson. But the guidance to figure out how to play a song is really ALL over the place.

Still, this song did catch my attention, so i looked into it, offered to create a lesson for it (i really did in my original post), it just wasn't taken. Instead I was asked for a tab and another shout out to Neil was made. (I can relate to that, Neil is the best teacher that I have ever come across with and I ALWAYS love his take on a song, no matter how simple the song is etc.)......my point, then there isn't much more that i can do. Yeah, still create the lesson I suppose, haha! :laugh: :laugh:

All good though! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic