Any thoughts on the song In Color by Jamey Johnson

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 am

So thats solved then( I was hoping for that ;) :laugh: ),,I was afraid for makin confusings,,now I only wanna know what that F chord is doing there,,,

so this song as something in it to learn,,,etc

And we can find everything on this side,,its already there,,pffffff

Willem

tgvanessa wrote:
No Willem, the sheets aren't totally wrong.....the song ís in the key of G (the presence of an F-chord doesn't change that) relative to the capo. Absolute key is Bb, that's why the sheets said two bb (2 mollen). But please FORGET about the latter! :S

I mean, are we playing the piano or the guitar? Stick to the guitar, think in chordshapes and for now nót in absolute keys, this gets wáy too confusing. Once you got it all figured out for the guitar and you gotta tell another musician, bassplayer, pianist, only thén it'll be handy to know what the absolute key is by going up (in this case) three half steps, since you're capoed at the third fret. Again, in the guitarworld, think in chordshapes and relative to the capo.....I thought we had that cleared up... :S

Also I don't think the original poster (Kwadam) is looking for keys, just the chords and the picking. ;)

My two cents.... :)

willem wrote:
wiley wrote:
As for the 'absolute' key - I can only refer back to several discussions about relative keys and absolute keys we have discussed before.

True enough, when we 'capo up' we do so to change the 'key' of a particular piece in reality we are changing the 'tone' (or pitch may be a better word here) of the guitar, the capo makes the fretboard shorter (more or less - in theory (it's actually called "scale length")). But we still think about the key, on guitar, in the same way we would as if we did not have the capo. This makes the 'thinking' part easier as we would use the same 'shapes' as we would if the capo was not there.

To find the 'absolute' key, the one we would tell all the other instruments we are 'really' playing in, we count up. So, key of C in 'open' position, we count up the number of frets we move the capo to.

open 1st fret 2nd fret 3rd fret 4th fret 5th fret 6th fret
C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E/Fb - F - F3/Gb and so on and so on.......

as a further example;

G - G#/Ab - A - A3/Bb - B/Cb - C - C#/Db and so on and so on........

EDIT: That didn't turn out like planned, I'll try to get around to posting something a bit clearer.

Willem - two flats is B flat.
Yes Wiley,,,D# or Eb,,,I was so confused 'cos the sheet told me Bb(totally wrong) an other sheet told me G and capo up three frets,,can you understand how confused I was when I read what Scott was saying with the chords and I at my thoughts 'cos I could''nt place the F chord,,now I can,,

Lets say the song was written in C and then capod up three frets so it becomes Eb..

Willem

willem

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:52 am

Chords played in the song Gadd5-Fsus2-C..
I think i have a nice embillisment on the C chord but must find time to record that..

Sorry for confusing up some things but hope that that add something also,,

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 am

Indeed Willem! :)

However, what makes a chord a sus2-chord? What's the formula and what are the notes/numbers being used in this little F-chord?

And yes, embellishments when playing the C-chord. ;)

willem wrote:
Chords played in the song Gadd5-Fsus2-C..
I think i have a nice embillisment on the C chord but must find time to record that..

Sorry for confusing up some things but hope that that add something also,,

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 am

Read Neil's reply to my question about JM's 'I Won't Give Up':

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/74- ... stion.html
willem wrote:
s,,now I only wanna know what that F chord is doing there,,,

Willem

wiley

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

Quick Question - seems we sorta kinda have a chord progression and the 'key' worked out - now for the picking pattern. Anybody have something like "Song Surgeon" and if so, have you worked out the pattern yet?

willem

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 am

tgvanessa wrote:

However, what makes a chord a sus2-chord? What's the formula and what are the notes/numbers being used in this little F-chord?

]
What i understand from suspended chords is you add a note but also(maybe most of the time) you release that note on a certain time,,its called sus2 so the 2 stands for the second note in the Fmaj scale F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E,,,so we add a G note,, chord= XX3213 XXFACG,,, hope it made sence.

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes, you do make sense, but it's different from what you think, you actually ommit a note, the 3rd in the chord. So the formula for a sus 2-chord would be: 1 2 5

When you add the 2nd, that it's often called, an add9, in this case, Fadd9, the 3rd is still in there. 1 3 5 9

So he adds the G on top of the little F-chord, but he also lets go of it in the intro.

willem wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:

]
What i understand from suspended chords is you add a note but also(maybe most of the time) you release that note on a certain time,,its called sus2 so the 2 stands for the second note in the Fmaj scale F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E,,,so we add a G note,, chord= XX3213 XXFACG,,, hope it made sence.

Willem

willem

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
Yes, you do make sense, but it's different from what you think, you actually ommit a note, the 3rd in the chord. So the formula for a sus 2-chord would be: 1 2 5

When you add the 2nd, that it's often called, an add9, in this case, Fadd9, the 3rd is still in there. 1 3 5 9

So he adds the G on top of the little F-chord, but he also lets go of it in the intro.

willem wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:

]

Willem
Okay,,,so this is Fadd9 XX3213 and this Fsus2 XX3013 I think I can hear it too when I picked those notes,,we see,,thx

And I did read your link for that Fchord,,,no rules eh!!! man music(theory) can be so confusing,, we (I ) go further...

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic