A question on "Slowpoke" by CSN&Y

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Music Junkie

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Hey everyone:

I am working on "Slowpoke" by CSN&Y. Fairly simple song, with a repeating G to D to Em with a little hammer on back to G. Where I get a bit stuck is at the harmonica breaks. Can someone take a listen to the following video at about 1:50 and 2:58 and see what chords you are hearing? I THINK I am hearing C Bm C G C Bm Am D, but the harmonica is making me a bit uncertain. I have a hard time tuning it out... :huh:

Thanks!

J

daryl

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:39 am

I think you're correct with the harmonica chords. But the "D" in the G D Em progression doesn't sound right.

willem

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:34 am

daryl wrote:
I think you're correct with the harmonica chords. But the "D" in the G D Em progression doesn't sound right.

I agree with Daryl..its not that I am good in this but love to try it so now and then,,

I think its Just back and fort between G and Em,,the hammeron is on the Em just as in ''Heart of gold''

I think you're right with harmonica chords..

Willem

TGNesh

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 am

That's true, since it isn't a D. Often when a chord sounds right, but doesn't sound right at the same time, try the relative minor of that chord that you think it is. In the case of D, try Bm. However, it's a Bm7. A m7 chord has, besides the root, (which is obviously B ), the same notes as the relative major, in this case a D-chord.

daryl wrote:
But the "D" in the G D Em progression doesn't sound right.

willem

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 am

tgvanessa wrote:
That's true, since it isn't a D. Often when a chord sounds right, but doesn't sound right at the same time, try the relative minor of that chord that you think it is. In the case of D, try Bm. However, it's a Bm7. A m7 chord has, besides the root, (which is obviously B ), the same notes as the relative major, in this case a D-chord.

daryl wrote:

Damn,,my first thougth was Bm7..I found it also very muted played..

Willem

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 am

tgvanessa wrote:

daryl wrote:
Daryl, Ness and Willem:

Thanks for the input. I tried the standard fingering of a Bm7, and it sounded a bit off to me, but my ear is not that great.... I'll mess with a few voicings and see what I can come up with. At least I am back on track, and I feel better about the chords in the harmonica parts. :)

Jason

willem

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:03 am

Music Junkie wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:

daryl wrote:
Daryl, Ness and Willem:

Thanks for the input. I tried the standard fingering of a Bm7, and it sounded a bit off to me, but my ear is not that great.... I'll mess with a few voicings and see what I can come up with. At least I am back on track, and I feel better about the chords in the harmonica parts. :)

Jason

I played just your chords along (the harmonica part) and I did'nt hear any strange things...it sounded fine to my ears..

Willem

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 am

willem wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
tgvanessa wrote:

daryl wrote:
Daryl, Ness and Willem:

Jason

I played just your chords along (the harmonica part) and I did'nt hear any strange things...it sounded fine to my ears..

Willem
The harmonica part is fine, I think. At least that is what I took from Daryl's post. I think he and Ness were referring to the repeating chord progression throughout the song. I thought it was G D Em, with a hammer on back to G, repeating over and over. I think Daryl and Ness are saying that it is G Bm7 Em with a hammer on back to G and then repeating that sequence. When I played the Bm7 in standard barre chord form at the 2nd fret, it sounded a bit off to me. Again, my ear is not that great, hence my asking in the first place...lol. It could be absolutely correct, and I am too dense to hear it... :silly:

J

daryl

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 am

I definitely think the D is incorrect in the G D Em progression. But I have not suggested that it should be a Bm7. I don't know what it actually is. It could be a particular Bm7 voicing or it could be some other entirely different chord. My guitar is not handy right now for me to search for the chord. Good luck. And you ear isn't bad. You got the harmonica section correct. I'm sure you can find the proper chord in the body of the song. It definitely sounds like it is in the 1st position.

TGNeil

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am

Hi Gang,

Willem- good ears! It is not just a standard Bm7, there is something else to it. Keep experimenting and exploring.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic