Technique question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
fjeanmur

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello Forum people!

A question here. I've started working on "Warm & Windy . . . not too bad . . .but I'm stuck in the section on what Neil calls a "roll"--grabbing the first chord in the second measure and rolling it. I've never done this before and I'm not quite getting what to do. Neil mentioned the "Yesterday" lesson, I think, but I didn't see anything there. Does anyone know of any other lessons where he explains well what to do? Can any one explain how this is done?

Thanks guys!

Jean

willem

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Vanessa has also a lesson where she does that,,I think you mean a quick roll with the fingers which should sound like when you were strumming it..I try and try but find it tricky too..

Willem

dtaylor

Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Jean, the best explanation is on Imagine, Part 11, 11 minutes in. That's the Solo version.

Dean

sandysue

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Jean

I play windy and warm but I'm not sure what part your referring to. Let me know, maybe I can help. I'm going to see Neil for a lesson on Wednesday, I can ask him to help too if he doesn't see your post first.

Sandy

fjeanmur

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 am

sandysue wrote:
Hi Jean

I play windy and warm but I'm not sure what part your referring to. Let me know, maybe I can help. I'm going to see Neil for a lesson on Wednesday, I can ask him to help too if he doesn't see your post first.

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

It's because of your lesson that I tried it!

Sorry, I thought I was clear, but now I see I was not. I meant "section 2'" second measure, first chord. Neil talks about a roll--grabbing the strings and then playing them quickly, one by one, starting with the pinky, I think.

I'm just looking for other lessons that I could watch to get a better idea of how it's done. Thanks for responding.

Jean

fjeanmur

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:02 am

dtaylor wrote:
Jean, the best explanation is on Imagine, Part 11, 11 minutes in. That's the Solo version.

Dean
Thanks, Dean, I'll look there.

sandysue

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:23 am

Hi Jean

I just watched Neil's videos on Windy and Warm. You are right, he does say to do an arpeggio with your fingers on the first three strings rather than just pinching the whole chord at the same time. You strike strings (3-2-1) in rapid succession (arpeggio) with your index, middle, and ring fingers, rather than striking all of the strings simultaneously as you would with a pinch. It is counted as one beat but it is 3 slightly separate sounds. He also talks about syncopating the base notes. I don't remember learning it that way but it sounds better. I just tried playing that part with the arpeggio, or rolling chord tonight, and it wasn't that easy to do. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check with Neil to make sure that I am telling you the right thing. I'll let you know. It's such a great song, you'll be glad you learned to play it.

sandy

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 am

I find the roll difficult too, not very controlled and tending more to a pinch.

Section 2 - Measure 10 - Roll

I find both measures 10 and 11 to be tricky.
Neil explains and demonstrates a few options with them.
It would be great if he would expand on that, his little finger has a life of it's own :ohmy:

Could you find it in your heart of gold to supplement the lesson with a little tab detailing these options Neil?

:blush: :blush:
:S

fjeanmur

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 am

willem wrote:
Vanessa has also a lesson where she does that,,I think you mean a quick roll with the fingers which should sound like when you were strumming it..I try and try but find it tricky too..

Willem
Willem,

Do you know which lesson that is?

fjeanmur

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
I find the roll difficult too, not very controlled and tending more to a pinch.

Section 2 - Measure 10 - Roll

I find both measures 10 and 11 to be tricky.
Neil explains and demonstrates a few options with them.
It would be great if he would expand on that, his little finger has a life of it's own :ohmy:

Could you find it in your heart of gold to supplement the lesson with a little tab detailing these options Neil?

:blush: :blush:
:S
. . . or maybe add this to one of the quick tips?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic