Help with intro to Country Roads

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 pm

daryl wrote:
We need to help you develop your ear. See if this helps. Here is a video of the intro (repeated 4 times for you) at 60% playback speed. See if you can figure out the notes. Good luck. If you need it a little slower let me know.

Hi Daryl,you have to make your video public,,its private,, and did you transpose it to C??

daryl

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:41 pm

willem wrote:
daryl wrote:
We need to help you develop your ear. See if this helps. Here is a video of the intro (repeated 4 times for you) at 60% playback speed. See if you can figure out the notes. Good luck. If you need it a little slower let me know.

Hi Daryl,you have to make your video public,,its private,, and did you transpose it to C??
Oops. Thanks Willem. I fixed it so now you should be able to see it. Sorry.

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Daryl:

What are you using to do that? Is that song surgeon?

Very cool little tool!

Jason

daryl

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 am

Video surgeon would do it but I just used REAPER (my DAW of choice).

It took about 10 minutes to download the video, convert it from flash to mp4, to import it into Reaper, to reduce the playback rate to 60%, to cut out all but the intro, to copy and paste the intro 4 times, to render the resulting edits, to upload it to my channel, and to post it here.

willem

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 am

I came up with this,,in the Key of A..

TGNesh

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am

Listen again Willem, play along with Daryl's track and listen if it actually matches! (start the first two notes on the second string)

willem wrote:
I came up with this,,in the Key of A..

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 am

daryl wrote:
Video surgeon would do it but I just used REAPER (my DAW of choice).

It took about 10 minutes to download the video, convert it from flash to mp4, to import it into Reaper, to reduce the playback rate to 60%, to cut out all but the intro, to copy and paste the intro 4 times, to render the resulting edits, to upload it to my channel, and to post it here.
Thanks Daryl. :)

I just used AVS Audio Editor last night to cut and join pieces of "Back in Black" for my youngest son. He is covering the drums on that song in his talent show next month. They are limited to 2 min or less, and I had to get the parts he wanted. It was a challenge, but we ended up with a really nice sounding clip. I am still a pretty big noob on so much of that. I will have to check out REAPER.

Thanks for the info!

Jason

familyman4

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Hello giantsfan1908.

Were you able to figure this riff out yet? John Denver actually starts the song by finger picking 4 notes in the "A" chord, then his lead guitar player plays this little riff to really get the song rolling.

I understand you would like to play it in the key of C. I am traveling right now so I cannot record it for you but here is where you need to play the notes:

slide up to the 9th fret, on the 3rd string,
then 1st finger on the 8th fret of 2nd string
repeat both of these,

then 3rd finger 10th fret, second string
then pull off from the 9th fret to the 7th fret on the 3rd string
last note ; 3rd finger on the 10th fret of the 4th string.

BTW, that last note listed is actually a C note so you will then be good to go in the key of C.

Hope this helps you out. If you would like a video of the playing, I can do that in a couple days for you. Just let me know.

Good luck!
Bart

haoli25

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 am

Hi giantsfan1908,

A very cool John Denver song and I wish you the best with it.

When Pete Huttlinger played with John Denver, he played the 9 note lead intro exactly as Bart described. But originally when Mike Taylor played guitar for John, Mike played most of those notes just on the first string. It may be easier for you. On the first string Mike played; 8th fret, 9th fret, and hammer-on to the 12th fret. He repeated those three notes and then slide to the 14th fret, back to the 9th fret and the last note is the 10th fret on the 2nd string. I hope this helps you.

Bill

familyman4

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 am

Bill is exactly correct. However, be careful because that is still in the key of A, and it was requested for help in the key of C.

So, if you would still like to play it in the key of C, and use the 1st string (all but the last note) follow Bill's instructions but move up the neck 3 frets and you will be good to go...

Have fun!
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic