He Went To Paris - Jimmy Buffet - Question about Fingerstyle & Practicing

Feel free to get outside the box here.
tgjameela

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a member that came to the Help Desk with a few questions that I suggested would be great for the forum. He's not quite ready to dip his feet into the ocean that is the TG Forum so I offered to post on his behalf.

First Question:

"I've just finished listening to Neil's tutorial on "He Went to Paris" by Jimmy Buffet. In the tutorial Neil explains how a combination of alternating base finger style and arpeggio finger style works really well with this song. In the intro, is he playing just an alternating base finger style, or just an arpeggio finger style, or a combination of the two? Also, when he begins the fist verse, is he starting with alternating or starting with arpeggio? This info is probably in the TABS, I just haven't gotten to it yet."

Second question is more for those that have been in the Target Lite program and how to divide up practice time.

"Regarding the two-monthly selected songs, does it make more sense to practice both songs during the month or does it make more sense to practice one song, say, for two weeks, get it down, and then begin practice on the second song?"

Thanks everyone!
Jameela

RicksPick

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi and welcome

The intro is alternating base only, I see the 5th and 4th string going back and forth ie open 5th ,2fret 4th,
this how I would start then get the other notes either pinched with the base or inbetween the base notes

The verse starts off with an arpeggio for the first half of the measure then back to the alternating base

Hope this helps, Ive not watched the lesson but have mainly been fingerpicking,,

Good luck

RicksPick

P.S jump in anytime you like, we all struggle with this dam beast that Neil makes look easy. lol

Target Lite not sure, I tend to concentrate on one at a time, but some do more to mix things up a bit, choice is yours,

willem

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi and welcome,

I like practicing a lot of songs but thats me, the danger is it takes a while to get the whole song under your control but hey I like practicing.

I think you can go for both songs in one week.

What I hope for you is that the songs connect with each other playing wise so you can benifit from both songs.

Willem

tombo1230

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 pm

willem wrote:
Hi and welcome,

I like practicing a lot of songs but thats me, the danger is it takes a while to get the whole song under your control but hey I like practicing.

I think you can go for both songs in one week.

What I hope for you is that the songs connect with each other playing wise so you can benifit from both songs.

Willem

I'm kinda with Willem on this, but lets say I am working on four songs, I will have one that I practice a lot more than the others. Once I have a decent handle on it I give one of the others a little more time. Some songs get replaced by others along the way for various reasons. Something more interesting comes along.

If you are a beginner then sometimes it's worth sticking to just one tune and giving it your all, trouble with this is you may get bored with it. For instance my daughter says she never wants to hear Blackbird ever again. I think it may have been some form of torture for her in the end. :unsure: :laugh: Do what works best for you. The more experienced you get, the faster you learn tunes/songs.

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:50 am

I'm far from the one to advise but.......

I think you need to keep interested.
Pick some songs that will keep you interested.

Sorry I can't help with the other technical question.

RicksPick ... you sure are a Fox !!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic