Question on "Teach Your Children"

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BobR

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm

I hope this is the right place to post this.
Something in the Lesson Notes for "Teach Your Children" caught my eye:
When this is played with multiple rhythm guitars it can be helpful at have one in dropped D tuning to bring out the bass a little more.
I like it. But since I don't know much (yet) about music theory, I have to ask: Would the alternate tuning require any of the chords played on the "retuned" guitar to be fingered differently than for standard tuning? In other words, since the sixth string of that guitar will be F on a G chord, is that going to be dissonant/inharmonious/whatever with what everyone else is playing?

Kind of a dumb question, maybe, but I had to ask. ;)

willem

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:
I hope this is the right place to post this.
Something in the Lesson Notes for "Teach Your Children" caught my eye:
When this is played with multiple rhythm guitars it can be helpful at have one in dropped D tuning to bring out the bass a little more.
I like it. But since I don't know much (yet) about music theory, I have to ask: Would the alternate tuning require any of the chords played on the "retuned" guitar to be fingered differently than for standard tuning? In other words, since the sixth string of that guitar will be F on a G chord, is that going to be dissonant/inharmonious/whatever with what everyone else is playing?

Kind of a dumb question, maybe, but I had to ask. ;)[/quot

You must play the G on the 5th fret,, only fret the bottom two strings (5 and 6) on the 5th fret and the first top string on the third fret,,

Willem

Ps welcome to the ! site,,

TGNesh

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 pm

You got it Doug! :)

When playing in dropped D, you gotta modify the chords with the root (bassnotes) on the bottom (6th) string.

Not a dumb question at all! ;)

TGNesh

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:37 pm

willem wrote:
You must play the G on the 5th fret,, only fret the bottom two strings (5 and 6) on the 5th fret and the first top string on the third fret,,
Thanks,Willem. Now I haven't even been here a whole day yet, and I've already learned something new. :)
Ps welcome to the ! site,,
Thanks.

Hi, Vanessa, and thanks for the input. I'll research that some more, because I might play that with some other folks at an upcoming jam session. (But only after I've practiced it some more.) I'd hate to guess when the last time was that I played "Teach Your Children," but I suspect it was sometime prior to '78. That was when I was stationed in NY during my Air Force days, and my girlfriend's brothers and I would play it because her mom just loved the song.
I'll either research the required chord shapes, or maybe just play it on 12-string and let somebody else do the "technical stuff" in dropped D. ;)

TGNesh

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 am

Type Dropped D in the search box above the Master Menu at the top on the left and you'll find a whóle bunch of songs which are being playing in Dropped D, and then pick one and check for the chord shapes. You'll find out that it's pretty easy and that it'll open up a new world of possibilities. It's really nice when you play in the key of D and you have a low bass note. I use it a lot.

Anyway, check it out when you can! :)

willem

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Excellent; thanks, Vanessa.
BTW, I enjoyed your performance of "Summer of '69" in the video from the open mic at IGC 2013. B)

Off to do some Searching. I got a set of those "fretboard" rubber stamps to use with an ink pad, to kind of speed up making "cheat sheets." I can print off another copy of page 2 of the Lesson Notes for "Teach Your Children," write in the new chords, and get in some practice. :)

TGNesh

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 pm

That's so kind Doug, very glad you enjoyed it!! :cheer:

declark0453921691 wrote:
Excellent; thanks, Vanessa.
BTW, I enjoyed your performance of "Summer of '69" in the video from the open mic at IGC 2013. B)

Off to do some Searching. I got a set of those "fretboard" rubber stamps to use with an ink pad, to kind of speed up making "cheat sheets." I can print off another copy of page 2 of the Lesson Notes for "Teach Your Children," write in the new chords, and get in some practice. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic