Full play through section on every lesson, please!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
heithoff

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I like the idea of "Hologram Neil" giving a one on one lesson in our living rooms !!! :laugh: If CNN has this technology then TG shouldn't be too far behind. No R2D2 required!

Dave H.

chacho

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 pm

I think your judgement is already pretty good Neil.

" MY MY HEY HEY " slow down section for me was very beneficial for practicing before progressing to the playthrough particularly the melody sections.
" I STILL CAN'T SAY GOODBYE " on the other hand did not need a slow down section but the play through was great for keeping in time and you make a really good metronome.

Horses for courses as they say and for me the blend is about right. :cheer:

fabiorfreitas

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

I mentioned earlier that I consider a Play Through with every lesson and if it seems useful, I do it. Recent examples of lessons without them would include If I Fell, Terrapin, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, and Where Do The Children Play. I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of others where I don't think it was necessary. Teach Your Children, Mr. Bojangles, Eagles tunes, America tunes, etc.

In many cases I think just listening to and playing along with the original is an important part of the lesson, even if I neglected to mention it in the lesson. For songs that have particularly complicated guitar parts, I think I usually do them. These might include Nick Drake, Gary Davis, and obviously most of the instrumentals like Water Song recently.

I would certainly like to here about any specific lessons that would be improved with a complete Play Through so keep scouring the archives and let me know what you find and think.

Neil

P.S. Today's lesson would be another one where I can't imagine me playing through it would add anything that you can't get from the album, which should be in everybody's collection.
Hey, Neil, thanks for answering!
Well, for recent lessons, I felt the need for Play Throughs in If I Fell and Society. I usually DO compare the lesson with the original, but the thing is that studio versions are usually more than just guitar and voice. In If I Fell, for example, I can hear one guitar that always plays the chord and let it ring and another one that plays four down strum per chord at the intro and then proceeds to some arpeggios. Not to mention the drums and the bass.
When I'm playing, I usually add some percussive beats to increment the sound and also try to sing, but often in a lower octave. That's why the Play Through would be useful: they are a "clean" guitar (and voice, sometimes) version from where I can build my own interpretation :)

TGNesh

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:06 am

Hi Fabio (?),

Since you mention one of my lessons, i thought i'd share my opinion on that. Honestly, of all the lessons I've done, Society is maybe the least one that needs a play through. It wouldn't have added anything, that you can't get out of Eddie performing it himself.

However, 8 out of 10 times I do record a play through complete with vocals. Not that I think it's necessary (I often base a lesson on an acoustic performance, which you can look up on youtube easily, much more fun to hear the artist than me), but because i know some appreciate it and maybe even from an entertainment point of view, but it has to be doable. The key of Society (Guaranteed as well) was throughout the whole song wáy too low or too high for me, which is the reason why I just left it to that (capoing didn't cut it as well). And then just strumming through 3 verses and chorus' which are all the same, 4 basic chords, 1 strumming pattern, I hope you can see that it didn't make any sense to record a play through. Playing along with Eddie Vedder will be much more useful.

In any way, Eddie Vedder was a bit of an exception (because of the key, although I did do play throughs for the Pearl Jam-songs. Yes low here and there, but mostly doable), I know that the next 4/5 song-lessons that I have on my list, will contain a play through. :)

Vanessa

fabiorfreitas

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:46 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Hi Fabio (?),

Since you mention one of my lessons, i thought i'd share my opinion on that. Honestly, of all the lessons I've done, Society is maybe the least one that needs a play through. It wouldn't have added anything, that you can't get out of Eddie performing it himself.

However, 8 out of 10 times I do record a play through complete with vocals. Not that I think it's necessary (I often base a lesson on an acoustic performance, which you can look up on youtube easily, much more fun to hear the artist than me), but because i know some appreciate it and maybe even from an entertainment point of view, but it has to be doable. The key of Society (Guaranteed as well) was throughout the whole song wáy too low or too high for me, which is the reason why I just left it to that (capoing didn't cut it as well). And then just strumming through 3 verses and chorus' which are all the same, 4 basic chords, 1 strumming pattern, I hope you can see that it didn't make any sense to record a play through. Playing along with Eddie Vedder will be much more useful.

In any way, Eddie Vedder was a bit of an exception (because of the key, although I did do play throughs for the Pearl Jam-songs. Yes low here and there, but mostly doable), I know that the next 4/5 song-lessons that I have on my list, will contain a play through. :)

Vanessa
Hi, Vanessa, thanks for answering

As for Society, I know it's pretty much straightforward and that you can get a lot from the record, but I think a play through would help preview what will we get when we finish learning the song (are there gonna be embellishments or some melody notes through the chords? Will there be a solo? Is it the kind of solo that you can play when you don't have someone else playing the chords for you?), though it wouldn't be necessary to do a full play through, going once through each part (intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro) would be enough :)

I certainly understand the reasons you gave for not doing the play throughs for every song, but since you mentioned that you, like many of us, also enjoy the entertainment point of view, let me share something I've seem at the website I go to for brazilian music: they often call some friend as a guest singer for the lesson (maybe Neil? maybe someone from totally vocals?), be it recording together, be it by recording separately and editing later, when the key is out of their range (for their lesson of Cartola's As Rosas Não Falam, for example, they even called friends to play a 7-string guitar, a surdo, and a pandeiro :D).

Fabio

TGNesh

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:01 am

I'm really trying to get you Fabio, but I honestly don't. In every segment I play through that particular part of the song. I do that in every lesson. For Society it felt totally unnecessary, but I played through it anyway. In the preview of the lesson you can find me playing specific bits, embellishments, part of the solo and later I break all of that down. In the lesson there is a complete play along for the solo....

Other than that, what you're suggesting (guest players/vocalists, which I actually sometimes do), do you have any clue how much work that would take? Personally I could never keep up with releasing a lesson every week, just for the entertainment of it. The latter is low on the list of priorities and I already go through a LOT of work to make it happen almost every week anyway.

:S :blink:

fabiorfreitas wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Hi Fabio (?),

Vanessa

As for Society, I know it's pretty much straightforward and that you can get a lot from the record, but I think a play through would help preview what will we get when we finish learning the song (are there gonna be embellishments or some melody notes through the chords? Will there be a solo? Is it the kind of solo that you can play when you don't have someone else playing the chords for you?), though it wouldn't be necessary to do a full play through, going once through each part (intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro) would be enough :)

I certainly understand the reasons you gave for not doing the play throughs for every song, but since you mentioned that you, like many of us, also enjoy the entertainment point of view, let me share something I've seem at the website I go to for brazilian music: they often call some friend as a guest singer for the lesson (maybe Neil? maybe someone from totally vocals?), be it recording together, be it by recording separately and editing later, when the key is out of their range (for their lesson of Cartola's As Rosas Não Falam, for example, they even called friends to play a 7-string guitar, a surdo, and a pandeiro :D).

Fabio

fabiorfreitas

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 am

Hm, sorry, let me try to say it another way...

Throughout the lesson, every single bit of the song is perfectly explained and played, and in the preview segment, you also talk about all of them. But there is never the whole thing put together, that's the thing. Your amazing lesson of Such Great Heights, for example, has that beautiful play through at the preview section, which was what I aimed for when studying it and what I played along with after working on all the sections. When I suggested you went through all the parts at least once, I was not saying that they were not played at the other sections, but suggesting a "partial play through" that would contain them (on Society,I guess it would be from 0:52 to 2:25 ) so we can see the parts put together :D

As for the other stuff, I can only imagine how much work you already have, but I really appreciate a lot what you do, I was just telling about some fun stuff I've seen that you might have wanted to try with a song you were specially excited about, I'm new to TG, didn't know you already had guests before :)

TGVanessa wrote:
I'm really trying to get you Fabio, but I honestly don't. In every segment I play through that particular part of the song. I do that in every lesson. For Society it felt totally unnecessary, but I played through it anyway. In the preview of the lesson you can find me playing specific bits, embellishments, part of the solo and later I break all of that down. In the lesson there is a complete play along for the solo....

Other than that, what you're suggesting (guest players/vocalists, which I actually sometimes do), do you have any clue how much work that would take? Personally I could never keep up with releasing a lesson every week, just for the entertainment of it. The latter is low on the list of priorities and I already go through a LOT of work to make it happen almost every week anyway.

:S :blink:

fabiorfreitas wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Hi Fabio (?),

Vanessa

Fabio

TGNesh

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am

I wouldn't be able to beat the man himself! :)

michelew

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Personally, I find the preview almost always gives me a good idea of what the lesson covers and the attached videos of the artist/band playing the song generally give me a good idea of what's possible. I know that Vanessa in particular goes to great lengths to find really good clips of acoustic performances of the song she's teaching and then goes into great detail about the details she hears and sees in three. She generally gives a brief demonstration of them in a the preview too or says that she'll cover them.

I LOVE watching the playthroughs they're ABSOLUTELY inspiring. But when I'm trying to learn the song it's generally a slowed down version of the album version and/or the GPro file that I most rely on. Of course I go back to the relevant lesson segments when I need to as well.

I guess I'm saying that the whole lesson pack works well for me.

Now if the audio from the playthrough was also available to download... Well I'd be learning more directly from it to be sure. My internet set up is too unreliable to play the video over and over, it pauses too often which is really frustrating.

I'm happy with the playthroughs provided to date.

Thanks!

M

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:41 am

I can imagine that to research, plan, play and film and edit all the parts of a lesson and post it must be, on average, a matter of 1 to 2 days solid work. Maybe add a day or so if it has to be practised and brought up to perfect performance standard. I reckon Neil and Ness are so versed in that process by now that they could possibly half that time, at times. So, looking at the lessons here, I don't think Neil has slept since 2009 :laugh: Ness, getting any sleep these days? :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic