Full play through section on every lesson, please!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
fabiorfreitas

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:19 pm

It would be really good if every lesson had a full play through just like the instrumental, it's nice to be able to watch the whole thing being played to preview what you'll get after you learn it and also to have something to compare with your current progress! Oh, and of course I'm only talking about new lessons from now on, doing this for all the hundreds of awesome lessons would take forever, haha :)

TGNeil

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. As far as Play Throughs or Play Alongs, I consider this with every lesson and I can give you some insight as to how I decide to, or not to do one with each one. Something helpful for me first would be lessons without them that you think would be better with them. Obviously opinions from everybody would be appreciated here.

Neil

willem

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:32 am

A wish for me would be more second guitar..

Willem

davidrfinn99165

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:38 pm

willem wrote:
A wish for me would be more second guitar..

Willem
Ooh yes please... the Al Stewart - On The Border - lesson is a great example. How about a Totally Maury section???

thereshopeyet

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Gosh Great question !
I like to listen to and watch Playthrough's too.

I think it's difficult to answer as so may lessons do have a Play Through section.
I think I it's always worth looking through the Acoustic Snapshots found via the Totally Guitars Blogs menu at the top of the screen.

The need for Play Through requests could be reduced, if all future lessons didn't omit them during the lesson construction
when the instructor is in the zone :dry: :P

At the moment I can't think of any particular lessons but it would be cool to have a dedicated section where we can request a Play Through
when we come across a lesson that doesn't have one.

it's then down to TG Folks weather it's justified or not, for whatever reason.

Apart from all that....

It's Entertaining too !

:ohmy:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:54 pm

Just spent a half hour looking through some lessons. I couldn't find anything that I would consider missing in any of them. All had at least a partial play through. Pretty stunned at just how many lessons are now there, absolutely amazing!

I would appreciate a personal appearance from Neil in my living room each lesson to move my hands over the fretboard for me so I don't have to spend weeks learning it for myself :woohoo:

thereshopeyet

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Neil's probably on his way to you Chris !!!

Might not like the walking stick though !!!

TGNeil

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Gang,

I mentioned earlier that I consider a Play Through with every lesson and if it seems useful, I do it. Recent examples of lessons without them would include If I Fell, Terrapin, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, and Where Do The Children Play. I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of others where I don't think it was necessary. Teach Your Children, Mr. Bojangles, Eagles tunes, America tunes, etc.

In many cases I think just listening to and playing along with the original is an important part of the lesson, even if I neglected to mention it in the lesson. For songs that have particularly complicated guitar parts, I think I usually do them. These might include Nick Drake, Gary Davis, and obviously most of the instrumentals like Water Song recently.

I would certainly like to here about any specific lessons that would be improved with a complete Play Through so keep scouring the archives and let me know what you find and think.

Neil

P.S. Today's lesson would be another one where I can't imagine me playing through it would add anything that you can't get from the album, which should be in everybody's collection.

dtaylor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 pm

I remembered thinking at the time of learning it that it would be nice to have slower version in full of The Fisherman. It might be the incentive I need to learn it well enough to get through it without a meltdown :)

sbutler

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:19 pm

I agree with Neil, in that it probably doesn't always seem necessary from a learning perspective, but for me personally, it does add an extra personal touch. More like a real lesson you know!. Playing along with Neil for practice, is a whole lot better than guitar pro in that regard.

SCott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic