Choose carefully!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
wiley

Sat May 30, 2015 12:12 am

Been a rough couple months around here. No flood damage for any family neither here or south.

I spent most of my youth in the "Country" where friends were far spread, minimum amount of acreage anyone had was five. That's not saying I'm a 'country boy' , in fact my first real concert was these guys,at the VA hall in Alvin, Texas I went to see a girlfriend's brother playing the drums. He still does. Have no ideal where she is....

Down the street were five brothers, the youngest of whom was and still is one of my closest friends and a brother-in-law for close to 38 years. Steve was the youngest, Terry the middle.

Terry wore that "Billy Gibbons" hairdo and beard, he'd actually toured for a while as one of their 'steady' gaffers' and had done some Master Carpentry for Billy and Dusty in their homes. Terry had also drug me on many an adventure, one of which was away to make some 'quick' money going out of Galveston on a "Shrimp Trawler". One of the worst jobs I ever had for sixteen hours (one day on a trawler).Terry made his own way, never had a 'real' job, never lived a 'normal' life. This past October I got to play the 'third wheel' at the National Barbeque Championship which Terry had qualified for. It would be the last days we spent together.

I got a call early Wednesday Morning, Terry had lost his battle with cancer. Terry was 59.

So, at this moment, in this day; my choice is something that fit Terry....

Rest in Peace my friend, rest in peace....

wiley

Sat May 30, 2015 12:34 am

In retrospect;

April 25th - the day of our latest House Concert, hosting Bobby Duncan and Chris Waldrop. I had planned on and had been wearing my calluses out to 'open' with a short set myself. I had everything setup, chairs aligned, PC and cameras on the ready to broadcast on Concert Window. Show was to begin at 5:30pm.

At 1pm, Our youngest and hers were there, and a couple friends, I grabbed my Tacoma and was headed to the Back porch when my phone rang.

My Mother was 85, had been in and out of the hospital the entire year, starting with a battle with Pneumonia this last January, Tuberculosis in April. The kids had both visited her that Wednesday, her 85th birthday. Donna and I had just returned from a trip to Laguna Beach, California and visited her that Thursday. She was actually getting better, talk was she was to be released that next Tuesday.

She had suffered a massive heart attack.

Braelyn, her eldest Great Grand Daughter, played the piano in the 'big room' at the home Mom lived each time she visited. Mom would brag to everyone about it, along with any and all of her 'kids'.

Braelyn opened the services with a piece she had written for Grandma. We ended the service with one of Mom's favorites, and mine.....

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 30, 2015 2:14 am

Hey Wiley,

Thanks for this update. Hang in there ... you have friends in higher places.

The music you shared with us is very touching.

Pierre

michelew

Sat May 30, 2015 3:10 am

Wiley,

You've been dealing with a lot lately obviously.

The Eva number is particularly moving.

I'm so sorry for both of your losses.

M

crieniecat

Sun May 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us Wiley, it takes a lot of courage to be so open.
May strength find it's way to your house and lift you up...

Corina.

wrsomers

Sun May 31, 2015 5:44 pm

That is absolutely without any doubt, the best rendition of that song I've ever heard. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic