Choose carefully!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
crieniecat

Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

OK....

Here's my everlasting song...at this point in my life.
If I had to choose as a singer, it would be:

Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy version :blush:

Why? I think the text paints a perfect picture and takes you almost immediately into the story of missing someone dearly. And we all have someone we miss.

The music to it is a perfect accompaniment of the mood it should bring you in, and every time I sing it, it does it all for me...
The emotion is there in an instant.

I won't be bored singing it, ever. Can't imagine that to happen :)

Yep that's it. Now it's up to all you guys...what's your choice? Does anyone dares? ;)

michelew

Thu May 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Beautiful song, one of my favourites. Wonderful choice Corina. Great reasons too. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I could definitely listen to you singing this many, many times.

Was it the threat of having to do interpretive dance that allowed you to decide? :P

Shel

crieniecat

Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 pm

well... to be totally honest there must have been a hick up in my internet, because when I reacted I hadn't seen your reply!! :huh:

Something must have saved me from the scary image of the curse you told me about...brrrr :P

But while at it now...
I'm in for a quickstep, any time, but interpretive dance? ........ Roll over Beethoven!! :silly:

Thanks for the compliment Shel :kiss: ;)

michelew

Thu May 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Corina, that's funny. You must have felt the scary vibes building. Or of course Nessa's NO WAY convinced you that you couldn't take the "(girl)friend" defense and had to face the music as the strong and sensitive muso that you are.

Either way, it's good to see you step up to the challenge. Playing/singing a single song forever, for risk of losing your ability to do it ... I'm definitely struggling which which song is worthy enough for that scenario.

So... Do you two-step too? :)

cosmicmechanic

Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm

michelew wrote:
Some stupid set of circumstances results in you being cursed. From that point on, you're allowed to play anything on a guitar when you're by yourself or with just one other person (this is the save your partner's or best friend's sanity clause), but you're only allowed to play a single song forever, the same song, when you're with more than one person.
Oh dear, Michele's being "silly" again ... harumph !
Which song do you choose? (It can be one you haven't learned or mastered yet)
My choice is Procul Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale".
Why did you choose it?
I do play it ... have taken Neil's lesson and run with it. It's a long-term project.

It has a hypnotic melody, surreal lyrics, and I feel it has a strong undertone of longing ... but for what ?
The whole drift is that anyone can fill in the blanks as they feel.

For myself, the first verse brings to mind the mood that prevailed at a favorite hangout, way back when, before having real responsibilites.

[Verse 1]
We skipped the light fandango
Turned cartwheels cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
But the crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
As the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
The waiter brought a tray

I won't go more into the imagery of the rest of the song, will just leave the most commonly used lyrics, below.
[Chorus]
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

[Verse 2]
She said, there is no reason
And the truth is plain to see.
But I wandered through my playing cards
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast
And although my eyes were open
They might have just as well've been closed

[Chorus]
How long do you think it will take you to get sick of it?
I think I will never tire of it. Whether happy or sad, it can be played regardless.
I have found it to be very soothing to repeatedly(!) play WSOP when doldrums creep in.

This tune is also technically challenging and can be improved upon endlessly.
For example, Neil's lesson combines chord solos and strumming.
A whole lot of discovery can follow !

Pierre

michelew

Fri May 29, 2015 1:58 am

Hey Pierre!

Silly! Who me! Never! ;)

I've been thinking through what makes a good song that you'd be happy to be associated with - since it's the only one you ever play in public. Well yours is a classic to be sure. It's deep and mysterious, will get everyone singing and has stood the test of time; it also has meaning for you so sounds like a natural choice.

That's definitely a crowd pleaser. Nice one.

Shel

michelew

Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 am

I thought I had an answer to this when I wrote the challenge. But, my brain worked on this as I slept and I woke with more questions.

I initially dismissed some of the ones I currently play because I thought I might start to get sick of them; like Landslide, Little Song or Naked As awe Came.

I started thinking if I only have one song it better be a doozie (translation - a damn good one). So I'd better learn Classical Gas right!?

But I've changed my mind.

... To be continued.

crieniecat

Fri May 29, 2015 2:56 am

Hahaha that makes you a real woman Shel, changing your mind lol :P
I do like your "silly thoughts" a lot...

And true...Vanessa did kind of scare me a little, so I had double pressure right...poor me.... :woohoo: ;)
She's still not being very decisive though...hmm...

Pierre, nice choice! I too like the mood of that song, a sea flood of constant movement...soundwaves...

>Two step? Im not sure if I get what you mean by that lol... Isnt it a fact that a woman can dance every dance as long as the man she's dancing with capable of leading her? lolol
Hey if im stepping on any toes it's not my fault.... :woohoo: :lol: :laugh: B)

michelew

Fri May 29, 2015 2:59 am

Or the woman she's dancing with. :) I learned some of the dances I know in the leading position actually. :)

So I think my forever song needs to be one that:
- means something to me,
- I enjoy playing,
- has pretty finger picking and can handle being played differently
- would be enjoyed by others.

There are a few Jason Mraz songs on the list, Nick Drake and Adele (Lovesong), but right now I think it needs to be:

Details in the Fabric. - Jason Mraz (Beautiful Mess was right up there too)

Tomorrow. I might change my mind again. :)

crieniecat

Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 am

Ah...alright, I challenge you on that, I want proof, first time we'll meet, guess we'll not only make music but we'll dance too :-)

Oh no lady, not that simple... Now I want to know the reason you like this song. What makes it special, give us some insight :-)

ps like the "beautiful mess" too. Curious what will be your pick tomorrow, but like in all fairytales you have only three "wishes" to make, woman or not...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic