Choose carefully!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
crieniecat

Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am

@Nessa, sweet friend...always a pleasure singing with you.
Started us being 12 and 13 years old until now, and it gets better with each passing year :-)
Thank you!!

@Shel, good we're on. Seen no proof of dancing at IGC eh? Hmmm ....do I need to explain some things are kept, and should stay, top secret?
Hint... Fireball, Tequila, Wine and Guitars... 'nough said right? B) :silly:

You may choose.... ;) was I dancing or ....laughing my way downhill in the dark?) B) :laugh:

I understand your choice, J Mraz, t's really beautiful...and gorgeous lyrics. Maybe you've talked Nessa into doing this song too?
And again...thanks for the huge compliment, I feel honored you like our performance that much! :blush:

willem

Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm

michelew wrote:
willem wrote:
michelew wrote:
I found it hard and my repertoire is minuscule compared to yours Ness. So I imagine you'll find it impossible indeed.

I said more than one person just so people didn't feel completely restricted.

Which song would you play at every future open mic you attend and each time you're performing for a group of people outside your house?
Whoever so ''old man'' by Neil Young, at last finished this song for our choir party and with a singer, it still needs work so I keep working on some parts but will perform it each time with the singer. we performed 4 songs on that party but we bluffed us through it and the audience were yelling BIS,BIS, what a fun it was.

We are now a duo and try other songs too.

Willem
So Willem, do you think you can play old man forever?
On this moment I say yes but knowing myself I know I can get sick playing a song to much,,

We try to build a repetoir lets say 10 songs if it grows over it we can skip and add and sometimes you must grab out the old box..or encore.

Willem

TGNesh

Fri May 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Okay, I think I've made my choice.....

It would be 'Jailhouse Rock'. :)

Performing to me is about, when the audience is having a great time, then I do too. So yes, I'm definitely a crowdpleaser and I just enjoy myself to the fullest when everyone else does as well.

I remember, I was around 16 years old or so, that we had Queensday here in Holland. Which means a day off, a freemarket everywhere and bands/artists/festivals all over the country. But also, for example, children playing in the streets or parks (which I did as well when I was 9 or so.) However, me and the band that I, at that point, occasionally joined played a set over and over during that afternoon (must have been at least 7 times). And EVERY freaking time Jailhouse Rock just tótally rocked the street. I couldn't have enjoyed myself any better :woohoo: !! The response of the audience was just amazing!!

During another occasion, it was actually a contest between 5 schools and their bands performing a set. It was ábsolutely due to Jailhouse Rock that the audience forgot that they were not from Amsterdam, so therefor the competition (they were of course from the other schools from other cities who were competing against us), and they just stood up and danced all over the place. They just couldn't sit still, literally! I just couldn't believe my eyes!! :ohmy: :woohoo: Well it's one my most fun and happy teenage memories. Oh btw we won! :laugh: So there you have it. :)

Unfortunately in those days we didn't have Iphones or whatever devices, so there is no footage or even pictures of those times at all..... :( ....although i do have an audio-recording of me, age 13, performing an Elvis-medley at school. Corina must remember that actually! Do you Corina? Although I had left Jailhouse Rock out of that one.

The only video that I have, me having a LOT of fun performing Jailhouse Rock, is from when I was a little older, 26 or so. On a weekend out with a whole bunch of friends, they organized a performance-night. I couldn't resist and decided to do an Elvis imitation/medley one more time. It's the last song of the medley though, so I hope you'll have the patience to sit through it, haha! :laugh: Oh btw don't mind the beginning, pretty much everything went wrong :S . The sound guy forgot to turn up the volume so I had not knowingly missed the first phrase of the music.....grrrrrr^$&#^#% :angry: ......then lost the guitar, then forgot the lyrics :ohmy: and then.....well the show goes on! :silly: In any way, I had a blast and so did the audience! :woohoo:

Btw Is is actually prétty rare that I post it or even just show it to anyone.....i don't even think Corina has ever seen it?! Have you Corina? :dry: However, it'll show you the reasons for my final choice. :)

Edit: Another btw, I had recorded all the music and instruments for the medley already at home. The guitar around my neck was just for show. :P

auntlynnie

Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello everyone and thanks Michelle for posting this question!
I thought about this and it seems that most songs, any song, would have to get old playing it over and over, although Whiter Shade of Pale does tend to be hypnotic and make you want to keep playing it over and over.

But I think I would pick a twelve bar blues song because if I played it over and over, maybe I would finally become a natural at improvising - I'd love it if that happened.

Just my 2 cents worth. (Do you have an expression like that Down Under?)

Lynn

michelew

Fri May 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Ness - OMG! What a HOOT!!! Fantastic!!

Elvis of course! What a PERFECT choice for you Ness. :) I LOVE it. :) :) :)

I'd LOVE to to see you perform this is person. What a hoot! Them some cool moves. :)

BTW - there's no Elvis in the TG Library. Why IS that? :)

Lynn - another great choice. The Blues could be varied endlessly too. Nice one.

heithoff

Fri May 29, 2015 4:47 pm

"You've Got A Friend" !!! I could play it over and over and never get tired!

James has done this one for a life time and still can play it with all his heart and soul!

It'll most always be that song you heard that caught you at coming of age or a major life event in your life!

Hearing this song as a young teen made me love it and want to play guitar!

Dave H.

crieniecat

Fri May 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Nessaaa!! LOVE IT! :woohoo: Nope had'nt seen this before, glad you decided to share this with us.
No need to say I was pretty much relaxing at home but felt the adrenaline rush when hearing his music...
But yes I remember you performing as Elvis. Duh!

Of course im a huge fan of Elvis, pretty obvious. It was either Marilyn Monroe or Elvis, not a second of thought on which one to choose lol
I woke up one day and hysterically fell in love with him and his music (moves? lol) Guess I wasn't an outsider to that... ;)

I know we did a collaboration (or was it a 3 or 4 busking song) of " Can't help falling in love" but really? No lessons on Elvis? Ay,ay,ay..... :huh:

Come on...make my day.... ;) :lol:

Max

Fri May 29, 2015 7:26 pm

NOT FAIR...
No one is ever in the same mood, frame of mind, age, and a bunch of other things for, forever.

OK, that said I'm gonna try to narrow it down for now and maybe write back with a one song answer later.

I'll start with an electric guitar song.
Since i can't sing worth beans, I'm working on "SAMBA PA TI" by Santana, I love the emotions Carlos gets in this. I love working on this and have not tired of it yet.
For a hard rocking song it would be, "LA GRANGE" by ZZ Top, because sometimes ya gotta rock out and even I can get away with singing this.

My acoustic guitar song would be "HESITATION BLUES" by Hot Tuna. Another song you don't need a great voice for and you can just keep making up more verses.
Now if I had a good singing voice I'd like to play and sing "IMAGINE" by John Lennon, because I never get tired of hearing the lyrics.

Maybe if your original premise promised I could sing like an angel, then I would choose IMAGINE, but I would really miss rocking out. :P :P :P

dtaylor

Fri May 29, 2015 10:17 pm

For me there are always songs on the horizon about which I say to myself 'If I could play that, I'd never play anything else...' Then I learn them and another song gets my attention, it's a never ending game, I like the fact that it makes me want to keep learning.

A few which have had top spot are Classical Gas, Whiter Shade of Pale, and a Travis-picking version of Brothers in Arms. If I had a gun to my head then the latter would be the one, it's always challenging and has my favourites licks to play.

The new challenge is Martin Tallstrom's arrangement of Foggy Mountain Breakdown, I'll never be able to play it at speed, but if only... :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSZt0VZoAw

michelew

Fri May 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Dave - Yep that's a good one! Lots of feeling there.

Max - Haha! :P Yep it's not fair that's the point. :) excruciating isn't it? :) trying to emulate Carlos will keep you busy.

Dean -Gosh! You've go some amazing skill, so I imagine you'll have in down in no time. Post a video when you're ready. That would be great to hear.

Corina - dancing or laughing? :) I imagine it was a little of both. :) sounds like fun.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic