New TG Site Build - Help Us Please

Feel free to get outside the box here.
sandysue

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Matt

i would like two things:

1. a LIKE button so we can show appreciation for what someone has said or done on the forum without always having to write something.

2. A live virtual open mic option or hangout, sort of like what Google has, that allows members from remote locations to play guitar and sing together or for each other. When we had that for a short while after the first IGC, our members really participated, and it was really fun to watch. If non members are also allowed to view, then it may encourage others to join TG.

Sandy

Lavallee

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Matt,

I use the videos a lot to learn but I find it not so fun to stop it and replay a section. It would be useful to be able to select a section and play it in a loop at slower speed like slowmo type of approach (or guitar pro) to play along a challenging section

Thanks for revamping the site. I like it right now but refreshing it is good for the general inerest

Marc

michelew

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:50 pm

It would be nice to be able to log into the forum while inside a thread/post and to not be thrown out of the post once you do.

Lavallee

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 pm

michelew wrote:
It would be nice to be able to log into the forum while inside a thread/post and to not be thrown out of the post once you do.
Do you mean like I just had to do to reply? ;)

I concur

Marc

dtaylor

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:39 am

Tabs on screen, picture in picture where it fits in with the lesson.

bpost

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:54 am

Not sure if I am doing this right......

I have some suggestions-

Could you include chord diagrams on your charts ? If you had these we could reference any unique chord shapes easily.
Check out the "Chordie" site to see how they do this.

Also could you possible put the chord names over the lyrics. It would help to see where the changes should be.

And, tying a YouTube video of an actual performance by the artist to your lessons of the song would be neat.

And, have you ever checked out "Onsong". It is an App that allows you to download charts and it enables you to view them on an ipad and to be able to scroll through the song and lyrics as you play.

Keep strumming.

Brian

wrsomers

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:26 am

I'd like to see 2 changes: The ability to loop a section of the lesson video and chord diagrams on the charts.
Thanks,
Bill

michelew

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 pm

This is a reproduction of the comment I posted in this week's news thread to make sure the issue is considered when developing the new website. It is of course possible that I just misunderstood what Neil was suggesting.

Thanks

M

I just wanted to give some feedback on your "saving paper" comment at about 10:50 minutes in the news today - well I'm seeking a clarification actually. Regardless of whatever you might add to the videos to make them more useful, I hope you're not going to move away from providing PDF files of the tab / music / lyrics that accompany the lessons (in addition to the GPro files).

It would be really inconvenient to have to view the video to use the tab, chart, etc. In my opinion, they definitely need to continue to be downloadable so we can store them in our favourite music organisers and use them off-line; personally, I use ForScore on my iPad for storing, searching and viewing my music. I never print them any more.

The small number of lessons accessible through GarageBand use the on-line notation approach - and don't to my knowledge allow you to download the music notation. It drives me crazy and I'd hate to see the approach replicated on TG.

So I'm all for adding extra functionality to the lesson videos, but please don't reduce the functionality we have now.

Thanks

Michele

dtaylor

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 pm

I'd suggest making the new site easily modifiable. I'd guess there has been the desire to change a few things with respect to appearance and redundant links etc but it couldn't be done without a major overhaul.

This point is on my mind because I was looking for a couple of lessons Neil did a while ago. They were an invitation to take a suggested chord progression and see if you could come up with something original, lyrics or a picking pattern, a chord melody etc. I wanted to revisit it but didn't know where to look. By my count there are over 80 links on the main page, not including sub-menus, and I couldn't find the lessons.

In summary, this is a plea to make things more stream-lined and also to find out if anyone can direct me to those lessons????

And another thing :) the lessons I mentioned would have been a good opportunity to revive the 'competitions' link which hasn't seen any action for 5 years. How about it? Best interpretation of the chord progression wins a t-shirt?????

michelew

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:32 pm

The challenges and competitions are always great fun. It would be good to make them more regular and more prominent. I'm referring to the ones issued by members too I guess.

Please include a photo of Vanessa on the opening page of her lessons. It's always nice seeing your smiling face Neil, but it's a little disorienting, weird... Something when it's one of Vanessa's lessons that we're dropping in to view and her picture isn't there. Or if it's possible to add her photo now, maybe you could make the change to celebrate Vanessa's 100th lesson; make that 100th fantastic lesson. That's got to be fast approaching... Maybe we've seen it already. I remember it being in the 80s when her two-years of teaching at TG anniversary came around a little while ago.

Thanks

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic