New TG Site Build - Help Us Please

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dottmcse85630

Thu May 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Wow great news!

I echo Michele's comments.
Being able to search through the lessons for styles (fingerpicking, strumming, tunings, difficulty) would be enormouly helpful.

Also being able to search by difficulty or ability level.

Dennis

TGNeil

Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 pm

What a coincidence that this thread resurfaced today. The wheels are finally turning and we are asking for your help once again. See the thread about our survey and a chance to win a set of Santa Cruz Guitar Strings.

Neil

Survey Thread

thereshopeyet

Thu May 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I don't know much about Website development.
Some thoughts as below wether helpful or not hopefully add food for more thought and good decisions.
They are not in any particular order, only off the top of my head.

Important - Don't loose any information available on the current site.
If I remember correctly, everything got a bit messed up during an upgrade way back.
So keep this site available till you know all is well.

I'm sure web technology has change somewhat since this site was created.
So there may be many new features available to make all information easily accessible to all.
Your web developer would best know them.

So if you are re-inventing the wheel, get the foundation correct. Structuring it as simple and intuitive, as possible incorporating a degree of future proofing.
Maybe start with a block diagram of the site components and how they relate and link to each other and how you want to search all information.

When planning the new site you need to work out a means to testing it's ability to produce accurate search results as quickly as possible.
For example if someone wants to look up a song, links to The Lesson, FOTW's, Reviews, Forum Topics, Relevant Weekly News etc.

When on a lesson it would be nice to have a link referring back to the "New Lesson" forum topic and visa versa.

Some have issues posting pictures. In the beginning I only worked it out through trial and error, (and have posted several instructions within the forum in hope it would help others) , at the moment it's not intuitive.

Some sites have Stick Notes for popular topics instruction. if the interface is simple and intuitive they may not even be necessary.
what's the point of having the electronic technology, if it's going to be more complicated.

I like The format of the lessons, it's unique to TG. Pdf's and GPro Files.

To be able to post short inline video questions in the lesson comments / Forum.

Don't kill the site with terrible marketing advertising, keep it ads simple and to the point.

My last thought - Thanks to all for the great guitar lessons.

Another last thought - I'm probably on the old site by myself :S writing to an AI Robot :dry: Is There Anyone Out There ? :ohmy:

Dermot

dottmcse85630

Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 am

I would like to be able to change my username for the new site.

Also be helpful to be able to change e-mail address' in our profile. Somehow I cannot get a change to stick in the current site.

Dennis

Jim20750

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Could be way too late for feature requests, but it would be really helpful if the site was fully compatible with iOS and Android devices, so that we can search and play on whatever gadget is at hand. Including PCs (without Flash please) and Macs. So yeah, everything.

Can you help set any expectations for when it might be ready? Need any beta testers? Some of us have day jobs working with computers and only tinker with Guitars to have fun. I'd be happy to test unfinished software.

Thanks!

TGNeil

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Jim20750 wrote:
Could be way too late for feature requests, but it would be really helpful if the site was fully compatible with iOS and Android devices, so that we can search and play on whatever gadget is at hand. Including PCs (without Flash please) and Macs. So yeah, everything.

Can you help set any expectations for when it might be ready? Need any beta testers? Some of us have day jobs working with computers and only tinker with Guitars to have fun. I'd be happy to test unfinished software.

Thanks!
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the message and welcome to the TG World. My partner, Matt Williams may be able to elaborate soon but your (and anybody else's) help may be greatly appreciated as the wheels are now turning. Definitely not too late and thanks for reviving this thread. When the sun rises in Tasmania we may have some thoughts from the team.

Neil

da3v

Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 am

Automatically migrate customers who were paying for the old site, or at least send them a warning email saying they are locked out of the content that they paid for until someone gets around to manually transferring them after they jump through some confusing hoops. :( :shock: :x

familyman4

Sat May 30, 2020 8:04 pm

While we are working on small things to fix, can we also add an A - B looper feature for the lessons? We discussed this way back when TG was asking for suggestions but I don't see this feature on the lessons anywhere? I have seen them on smaller sites where the user can set the parameter for the "Start and End" of the loop. It would be very helpful!

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic