Parentheses in tablature?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:05 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I searched the forum and didn't find anything. A Google search came up with some results about "ghost notes," but no real good explanation.
I don't know anything about music theory or notation, and while I can (mostly) read tab, I "went stuck" on this. In the tab for "You Can Close Your Eyes," there are some string/fret numbers in parentheses. Some appear to be chords (A7sus4), others are single notes here and there.
Thanks for any help.

--
Doug

TGNeil

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:24 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:
I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I searched the forum and didn't find anything. A Google search came up with some results about "ghost notes," but no real good explanation.
I don't know anything about music theory or notation, and while I can (mostly) read tab, I "went stuck" on this. In the tab for "You Can Close Your Eyes," there are some string/fret numbers in parentheses. Some appear to be chords (A7sus4), others are single notes here and there.
Thanks for any help.

--
Doug
Usually those are tied notes in the notation. They are already sounding and not struck again.

Neil

willem

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:54 pm

TGNeil wrote:
declark0453921691 wrote:
Thanks for any help.

--
Doug
Usually those are tied notes in the notation. They are already sounding and not struck again.

Neil
Could it also be that we have a choice to play them also but then softly to keep up with time, I have also something like that in the intro from Angie and I believe that Gpro plays them but softly.

Willem.

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:00 am

Doug

If you look above the tab to the notation the parenthesis are reflected as ties.

Dermot

Click Image To Enlarge:

BigBear

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Okay, got it. Thanks, Neil. (And Dermot.)
I kinda thought that meant they were tied, but I know even less about musical notation than I do about tablature. ;)

--
Doug

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic