Learning to play

Feel free to get outside the box here.
johnjamesg

Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm 63 years old and picked up the guitar a couple of years ago after not touching it for 30 years. Back in 1970 I took some classical guitar lessons on Avenue Rd in Toronto. I was 18 and single at the time. A career came along, marriage, and kids. One Christmas when my oldest was 6 ( now 36 ) I had no money for a gift so I gave my son my guitar. He plays like a wizard today. I can't even hear as fast as he plays. I picked the guitar back up in 2007, learned a bit from Dan Kozar, a good friend in Welland Ontario then found Neil. I love you Dan but Neil explained guitar on a level I could understand at a price I could afford on Target Lite. In my humble opinion he is also a great guitar player. I venture a guess that he is the same generation as I am because the albums he speaks of I have every one, on vinyl. Folks, turntables are not musical instruments. Any way Neil, thank you very much. One small favour, some of your charts have chord shapes displayed on the print out. If possible can you do that for all the songs ? That is how I learn. I am a bit dyslexic so tabs look upside down to me. I count backwards though.... Thanks again Neil, if you ever get to Nova Scotia, pay a visit. You don't need a guitar, I have lots.

Respectfully,

John Gardiner

daryl

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Do I see a Martin, a Taylor, and a Gibson?

TGNesh

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi John and welcome from the Netherlands!

Good to hear you're enjoying the site and learning to play the guitar. Your collection of records and guitars looks great!

All the best,

Vanessa

willem

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Ouch, you have a man cave.. B)

you can go for Target heavy and get spoiled. :laugh:

Willem

ps, Neil can you do "brothers in arms"

johnjamesg

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:53 pm

You see a Taylor in the foreground. An Armbrust built for me by the late Jack Armbrust from Welland Ontario. It is much like a D28 in appearance, Good eye. The electric is a Cody , made for me and a gift from Elmsdale Nova Scotia. Both the Armbrust and Cody have 9 pointed stars of the head. A symbol of the Baha'i's of the world

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Welcome John! Nice collection of guitars and nice intro. Yep, Neil is exactly our generation turning the big Six Oh! in January as will I. The song selection here at TG is just the best! Hope you have a ball!

Chris in Switzerland

auntlynnie

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 am

Welcome John,
I love seeing those shelves of albums in your photo. I bet we all had similar looking rooms back in the day, right?

When I found Totally Guitars I just knew Neil was from my generation, too. I love all the info he has about the albums, the times, the players, etc.

As for your question about the tabs and chord charts. I generally watch the lesson and write down the chord configurations. Neil usually explains them during the "left hand" segment of the lessons.

Lynn

TGNeil

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 am

Hi John,

Welcome to TG and thanks for the feedback. Let me know which songs you would like to have charts for and I will see what I can do.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic