leaving totally guitars

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGNesh

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:01 am

The best way to make sure that you receive notifications of new lessons, or videos for review, or busking, or the weekly recap is to subscribe to their channels on YouTube. Add Neil's channel (Neil Hogan) as well for occasional uploads, news or whatever. That should do it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TGAcousticLessons

https://www.youtube.com/user/TotallyAcousticNews

https://www.youtube.com/user/TGAcousticSnapShots

https://www.youtube.com/user/TGFlyOnTheWall

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpsT0v ... Y3d7ETIC7A (Busking)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9C2bf ... U0RRoaqE2w (Videos for review)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbDi8Z ... HFGY-TblOQ (Neil's account)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TGMusicGearReviews

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl4tr ... kHviKBJXFA (Free Lessons)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWa16s ... NmbpR5w5tA (TGCollaborations)

declark0453921691 wrote:
I just received another "just one more message" message, and I'm going to try and unsubscribe from the ones that show up most often. (On 11/23, there were two mostly identical ones. Exact same content, slightly different format.) But as I mentioned above, clicking the unsubscribe link goes to an Aweber page with two possibilities. I'm going to unsub from the more recent "TG - IMPORT - NONBUYER" one, and see if that stops it. I am trying to not shut off the messages about new Target lessons, etc., but I don't think I've seen anything that wasn't mostly advertising since sometime in October.

For now, I have more DVDs than I can use, thanks. ;)

unclewalt

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:41 am

weimer85694

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:07 pm

I have to agree with the pricing comment....I've been looking at subscribing but the pricing is a big turnoff.
Definitely like the way songs are taught but guitar instructor at less than $10/month before a yearly discount is a better deal.
Combine that with guitar365 or similar (donations) and it's a tough sell.

TGNeil

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 am

weimer85694 wrote:
I have to agree with the pricing comment....I've been looking at subscribing but the pricing is a big turnoff.
Definitely like the way songs are taught but guitar instructor at less than $10/month before a yearly discount is a better deal.
Hi,

I guess I missed the pricing comment, maybe I just have to look further back through this thread, but I appreciate your comment about liking the way the songs are taught. I know TG is not a place for everybody, especially when so many people think they can teach and demonstrate this at YouTube, for better or worse. I feel my teaching techniques, and style are in a category that requires a certain degree of sophistication on the part of the student to appreciate. When that is combined with the 1000-odd lessons available at TG, what is a good value? Would it help to know that most of my private students pay about $100 for a 1-hour lesson? Although they generally stretch out to longer because I always have more to tell them.

So monthly access to the vast library of lessons at TG for less than half the cost of a single private lesson? It might be a tough call for some but a no brainer for others.

Neil

willem

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:56 am

TGNeil wrote:
weimer85694 wrote:
Hi,

I guess I missed the pricing comment, maybe I just have to look further back through this thread, but I appreciate your comment about liking the way the songs are taught. I know TG is not a place for everybody, especially when so many people think they can teach and demonstrate this at YouTube, for better or worse. I feel my teaching techniques, and style are in a category that requires a certain degree of sophistication on the part of the student to appreciate. When that is combined with the 1000-odd lessons available at TG, what is a good value? Would it help to know that most of my private students pay about $100 for a 1-hour lesson? Although they generally stretch out to longer because I always have more to tell them.

So monthly access to the vast library of lessons at TG for less than half the cost of a single private lesson? It might be a tough call for some but a no brainer for others.

Neil
NEIL I think you can't use the saying what 1 student pays you for a 1 hour private lesson, there is a big diffrents between private lessons and lessons via the net (this site),

Willem

TGNesh

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:08 am

Oh yes he can....teaching either in person or through video's, the point is, one shares his expertise and puts in time (In case of a video lesson, I can assure you, that's WAY more than an hour). There is no question about Neil's expertise, which is the result of 45 years of teaching. The more experience, the more expertise, the more value, the more $. It's as simple as that. (Not to mention the 1000+ lessons in Target. )

willem wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
weimer85694 wrote:
Hi,

Neil
NEIL I think you can't use the saying what 1 student pays you for a 1 hour private lesson, there is a big diffrents between private lessons and lessons via the net (this site),

Willem

willem

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:48 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Oh yes he can....teaching either in person or through video's, the point is, one shares his expertise and puts in time (In case of a video lesson, I can assure you, that's WAY more than an hour). There is no question about Neil's expertise, which is the result of 45 years of teaching. The more experience, the more expertise, the more value, the more $. It's as simple as that. (Not to mention the 1000+ lessons in Target. )

willem wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
weimer85694 wrote:

Hi,

Neil

ahha,, 1.000.000 x 10 = 10.000.000 party :laugh: B)

Willem

wiley

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 am

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:48 am

I took private lessons for a couple of years, and paid $30 per 1/2 hour lesson, once a week. I will not take anything away from my instructor, as he was a great guy. He was very patient and organized. I knew nothing of the guitar at the time, and he gave me a firm foundation. I had to stop after a while because my schedule did not work out any longer. By then I had found TG and had signed up. I was getting the same, if not more, out of the TG lessons, for a fraction of the price. I thought then, and think now, that we are getting an incredible deal here.

However, I feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion. The only thing I would question, is the need to make a post about things like this. If you don't think it is for you, and you feel you can get something better elsewhere, then just make the change, and be happy with it. No need to take a parting shot, at least not publicly... Maybe a PM to Neil and let him know that you are moving on, and the reasons why. I am sure he and the rest of the TG team want the feedback, and want to constantly strive to improve where they can.

To each his own... We don't all take to the same type of teaching methods. What works for some, may not work for others, and that is perfectly acceptable. It's life. I think the cost of TG compared to it's worth is probably different for each of us. We all have to make that determination on our own, and decide accordingly.

J

unclewalt

Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic