First Cut is the Deepest - R. Stewart

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dottmcse85630

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Neil got me lookin into Rod Stewart songs cuz' of his Maggie May lesson.
Been trying to work on First Cut is the Deepest as a play-along song that has some quick chord changes that I futz up on. Maybe I should grow my hair long and play heavy metal! No one would every know how lousy I play!
Question - to me it sounds like the strum pattern is DDU changing on the up.

Tips or hints on this or other songs with very quick chord changes?

Thanks

Dennis
as a play-along song

tombo1230

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:01 am

dottmcse85630 wrote:
Neil got me lookin into Rod Stewart songs cuz' of his Maggie May lesson.
Been trying to work on First Cut is the Deepest as a play-along song that has some quick chord changes that I futz up on. Maybe I should grow my hair long and play heavy metal! No one would every know how lousy I play!
Question - to me it sounds like the strum pattern is DDU changing on the up.

Tips or hints on this or other songs with very quick chord changes?

Thanks

Dennis
as a play-along song
Dennis, maybe an idea to show us on video what you are doing if possible?

At a guess though, you are not getting the chords down quickly enough at normal speed.
So slow everything down, maybe a tenth of normal speed and play it clean but slowly.
Neil teaches to hit a couple of the high strings (thinner strings) with the up strokes as you change chord.

If you have a particular problem changing between two particular chords, then very slowly practice the change,
even without strumming if it is easier. You have to practice to the point that it is automatic.
Speed comes when you have practiced slowly and with correct form.

As part of your warm up, maybe you could incorporate 5 mins of chord changing. After a little while you will have improved a lot.

I hope this helps you.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic