Acker Bilk - Stranger on the Shore

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dtaylor

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:23 pm

I couldn't get the busking channel to work, or the student reviews, so I'll see if this works.
I put the original of this in the Recommend a Lesson area in the hope that Neil would do a cool arrangement, fingers crossed!

Craig

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Wow! That was beautiful! Great job. Your notes are really clean, even with the hammer-ons, pull offs and slides. I notice your hand position is really good which is something I'm trying to be more conscience of. If Neil does a lesson on this, I'll definitely jump in head first! I'm not familiar with the tune so I'm off to watch the original.

Wonderful job and thanks for introducing me to this beautiful tune!

Craig

davidrfinn99165

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Wonderful..... beautifully played, one of my favourite melodies of all time,

who else on here remembers seeing the tv series for which this was the theme tune?????

wrench

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Great job Dean - very melodic. Is that your arrangement?

Nearly as good as your work is your selection. This piece comes right from the middle of downtown "Nobody saw that comin'"! My favorite place to select pieces. Great selection and a great job.

David, I remember this song as a big hit on the radio here in the US about 1962. I don't remember seeing it on TV, so I cheated and Googled it. Now I understand, but I won't spoil it for the others.

wrsomers

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Great job Dean. So well played. Your tone is excellent! Did you have a tab for this, or did you figure it out yourself?

David,
I know this was a theme for some BBC TV series but I don't know which.

I remember when it was popular on US radio in 1961 or 1962.

Here's the version we listened to back then:

Bill

davidrfinn99165

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Haha, you'd have had to be a certain age in a certain country at a certain time to have had any chance of seeing the tv series, though it may also have been shown in some old commonwealth countries. We only had black and white tv at the time in England, and this theme over the opening credits is so evocative for me. It showed at tea- time, but i am not sure if this was in the children's slot which was 5pm to 6pm or immediately afterwards, but certainly no later than 7pm which was the beginning of the main evening programmes. I'm pretty sure it was a short series of 25-30mins episodes.

I imagine the BBC wiped it of course, as they did most of their tapes from the early 1960s shows..They also appear to have wiped the Beatles on Juke Box Jury, and the show Bob Dylan recorded for them in 1965 (mentioned in Don't Look Back) which was 12 songs broadcast over 2x30mins. Dolts !.

BobR

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Dean,

Very nicely played. I have heard this tune before but not on an acoustic. Great job. :) :)

bob

fjeanmur

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Dean I love your work! So very nice. You always give me something to aspire to. That tune is just beautiful and you did such a great job with it.

Bill OMG! I remember that song. I can't tell you where or when, but I listen and it puts me another time. Magic!

michelew

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Dean - it's always great to hear your playing. You really do tackle some interesting things. It's interesting how different this sounds on the guitar. More timeless somehow, definitely beautiful.

Sorry David, I fail the tele program test. :) I know the tune well. The original version with clarinet definitely is a time machine. But ... It was something I heard my parents play on the stereo probably late 60s/early 70s, not something I remember hearing on the radio per se.

Thanks for sharing Dean. Your endeavors are inspiring.

M

crieniecat

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Gosh simply Beautiful!
:)
Corina

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic