Question about August 5 wrap up video

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dangarrett78077

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I asked this question on the blog On the Beat but it never got posted for some reason.
I would like to know the name of the song Neil is playing at the beginning of that video? I recognize it but cannot place it. It is driving me crazy.

I guess I may be forced to use Shazam or SoundHound to find out.

Dan

dangarrett78077

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Note: Shazam and SoundHound did not work.

michelew

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Dan,

The very first song that Neil played is Diamonds and Rust by Joan Biaz. It's a great song. There's a lesson on it in the library.

Hey since this looks like your first post on the forum, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

See you around.

Michele

dangarrett78077

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you Michele, that's IT! (I think I had that Joan Baez album long ago.)
It's one of those things where you recognize the tune, but can't place the song. You know that can be a bit maddening, LOL.
OK, I started learning guitar late in life (after leaving it cold turkey for about 35 years). In high school I had an intensive training in classical piano, played in a jazz combo in college (mostly Brubeck stuff!), and taught myself some basic guitar strumming, open chords and simply travis picking. All this from music books I bought at the local music store. There was no internet, or even videotape!
I dropped the music to pursue a career as a professional magician. About 2.5 years ago I saw a guitarist featured on a cruise ship who was awesome. I was inspired to re-kindle my hobby. So, for just under 2.5 years I have been learning from the internet, youtube, Totally Guitars and other paid sites. I have a nice Epiphone guitar I bought 40 years ago. Still a keeper. When I took up guitar for real, I purchased a custom Zager acoustic/electric and a Fender Strat (MIM). I practice diligently EVERY day, splitting my time between acoustic, electric, and piano. Yes, I started back with that, too.
Since I am sometimes on a cruise ship where I don't have internet access, I prefer lessons that are downloadable. So, I have joined as a TARGET member a couple of times. I must choose months where I have the entire month to access the lessons, or it does me no good. I think that's fair.
So every few months I re-join TARGET and work on the new songs. Guess it's time to join again for a while. Then I'm off to sea again in October.

Dan

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:16 pm

:ohmy:

TGNeil

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 pm

michelew wrote:
Hi Dan,

The very first song that Neil played is Diamonds and Rust by Joan Biaz. It's a great song. There's a lesson on it in the library.

Hey since this looks like your first post on the forum, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

See you around.

Michele
Michele,

Thanks for answering the question. I started the News that day with it for a reason I forgot to get to in the Wrap Up. My student Lisa, who will be joining us at IGC, wqs watching the intro videos and asked me about yours, where you open up with the instrumental intro to Diamonds And Rust. We started working on it at that lesson and even my next student wanted to work on it after he overheard Lisa and me running through it. So your innocent little intro brought that great song into a few more student's lives just last week!

Neil

unclewalt

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:40 pm

dangarrett78077 wrote:
It's one of those things where you recognize the tune, but can't place the song. You know that can be a bit maddening
Yes, it really can be.

michelew

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:43 am

Dan - thanks for telling us about your background. It sounds like you have an interesting life. A magician! Wow! It's good to hear that you've picked up your music again. Do you find that your performing skills help you when you're playing for people too? Do you have a mindset that you try to adopt?

And yep! It is maddening when you hear a tune that you know you know but you just can't name it. Actually I'm really bad at matching song names and artists to songs. Reeeeeeaaally bad. :) B)

Neil - Thanks. That's nice to hear. Actually the intro is my favourite part of the song, and the most fun to play. I almost always stumble on the bridge and I have trouble singing and playing it at the same time, but it's one of those songs that sounds great just as an instrumental. I'm sure they'll enjoy learning it as I did.

Dermot - nice find. It tells bits of their story nicely.

dangarrett78077

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:03 pm

OK, I'm a TARGET member once again.

After 40 years as a professional, I'm quite comfortable performing in front of any size crowd of course. I once performed on the field of the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville for over 20,000 people. I've performed on CNN Headline News live, for who knows how many. Hundreds of thousands? Millions?

I don't play guitar in front of people yet. Well, I jam with some friends who play, and for my sister's family when I visit once a year, but...

It's a matter of being comfortable with the material. You know the syndrome, "Well, I played that perfectly at home last night!" I don't aspire to go on stage and play guitar. It's just for the fun and love of playing.

Dan

dangarrett78077

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Now that I have seen the full Diamonds and Rust lessons (Joan Baez) I have more questions.

Neil only played the intro section of D&R in the song he played Aug 9 WrapUp. Then after the harmonics he went into a short of shuffle groove and then another song. That's one of the reasons I recognized the intro but not the whole thing. It was like a patchwork quilt!

The point is, I now know, that one can use the intro to D&R to begin other songs. Thanks to you and Neil for paying attention to these posts! That makes it worthwhile.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic