Giddy up Wild Horses

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dottmcse85630

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Neil's lesson on Wild Horses was terrific! Would it be anything less? I really get a lot out of the TG lessons and I can play it after a bit of practice. But on thing that also helps me is to really know the song so heavy listening over and over kinda works for me.

Trouble that I was having was listening to the album version of the song and picking out the "feel" of the song. I recently downloaded from iTunes an acoustic version. I am able to pick out the guitar much better using that version and quickly was able to spot some "sticky bits" but I really anxious to get into it even more.

So with that thought in mind I found a couple more acoustic, or unplugged versions and hoping they will do the same as that pony song! Just on the first few play-thru's what I am hearing in the nuances and rhythm they may do the trick.
Found:
Foreigner Feels Like the First Time & Waiting for a Girl Like You

Anybody else have other recommendations?

wiley

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:58 pm

fjeanmur

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Dennis,

Do you use Guitar Pro? If your listening to original versions for ear training, etc., that's one thing. But if you're listening for the overall direction of the song, and especially for tricky counting, GP is a good tool to have. I know a lot of us on the site use it and find it very helpful.

See you in a couple of weeks at the IGC.

michelew

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Dennis,

Do you use Guitar Pro? If your listening to original versions for ear training, etc., that's one thing. But if you're listening for the overall direction of the song, and especially for tricky counting, GP is a good tool to have. I know a lot of us on the site use it and find it very helpful.

See you in a couple of weeks at the IGC.
I second Jean's suggestion. It's especially useful because you can just listen to the guitar part (because that all that is in the TG guitar Pro files), instead of having to isolate the guitar part by actively listening to it and ignoring the other tracks. Guitar pro also allows you to slow it down and loop bits you're working on; those two feature are invaluable. And, you can watch the music notation (and tab) while you're listening and playing, so it helps you to understand music if you don't have that skill yet.

Another useful tool is one that allows you to slow down and loop segments of an actual album track. I use the Amazing Slow Downer on my iPad mostly. (I have Guitar Pro on my iPad too). Some people use OnSong.

I strongly recommend that you get Guitar Pro and another program to slowdown, loop and change the pitch of the original song. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how useful both of those types of tools are. I personally find them essential.

Have fun!

M

fjeanmur

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Michele--

You're going to have to show me those apps at the IGC. I was thinking that I could use something like that but I wasn't sure what. Oh boy! There's going to be so much to do during those five days. :laugh: :laugh:

dottmcse85630

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Sounds great, thanks for the tips. I'll look into Guitar Pro.

Dennis

michelew

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 pm

It will be my pleasure Jean. It's not long to go now. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic