Incubus Drive - ing Me Crazy

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dottmcse85630

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Since camp I have been working, off and on, mostly off, Incubus Drive.
I've got the chords down and can shift between them ok. The strumming is where it gets me.
Doing BB DD U mute mute change chords B D mute mute.
Just cannot seem to get the rhythm working.

So I have been doing the "Ness"-esarry essentials, relax, posture, concentration, correct fretting. Slowed it down too.

Its just one of those simpler songs that are tripping me up.

Please send tips, pointers and wishes my way.

Thanks
Dennis :ohmy:

michelew

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Dennis,

I strongly recommend that you take advantage of the student review offerings of TG. Video yourself playing the song and post it for Vanessa's or Neil's review. You know how valueable their advice is when you've met with them in person. Posting videos is pretty damn close to that experience. I've always found their advice on my videos to be very helpful. They have that innate teachers' ability to spot the things that we may not even be aware we're doing...that's holding us back.

I know it's scary to video yourself. But I know you can do it. :)

Go for it.

Michele

TGNesh

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 am

Hey Dennis,

I don't think Drive is a 'simple' song, so for you experiencing some problems is not surprising.

I would love to send some tips (I'm very glad you're aware/working on the Ness-esary essentials! :laugh: :P ), but like Shel says, it's usually the little details which makes you trip. Apparently you know what to play, so that's not the problem. So I'd say, take her up on her suggestion and show us where you're at. From there I can see what's happening and advice accordingly.

That said, I would just strum through the chords from one to the other and keep the timing right. I wouldn't focus on getting the bassnotes, some strums, some mutes. Forget about it for now, just strum through it and get to the next chord in time. Once you're comfortable doing that, you can focus on the little details, as in hitting the bassnotes first etc.

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic