help

Feel free to get outside the box here.
johnjamesg

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Neil: I was having trouble with my target light. Jameela assisted me. I sent her an email which is copied here. It explains what I am asking for. Thanks. And thanks for the years of songs.

Jameela:
I want to tell you a bit of a story, then ask a question. I am 65 years old, retired from 27 years of policing in Canada. My wife and I had two sons very close together in age. They are now in their late 30's. My wife and I decided that we would live on one income in order to parent our boys. Mother being the first teacher and women being the soul of life.There were times that I went to work and didn't have $$$ for a coffee. We were in love and scraped by. we were a family. Early in my career I would take out my guitar and play a few chords or scales. My oldest son, just a child, would come over to me and with both hands strum my guitar. My father bought him a kids guitar. One Christmas when Luke was 6, I had no money for gifts. So I put a bow on my guitar and gave it to him. He plays like a wizard today. I never played for almost 30 years. I bought a guitar when I retired and found Neil's lessons. I think it has been 10 years. I practice most every day. I'm not gifted, I just love music. I don't want to earn a living with music, just want to loose myself and maybe make some folks smile for a while. Maybe it will help me after 27 years of being in people lives on the worst day of their lives.

My question. I am trying very hard to practice the Sage by the late great Greg Lake. I can do this. However I find Neils hands all over the fret board, the explanation of finger positions difficult to follow. Would you ask him if he would send me the finger positions in the form of chord diagrams. In particular the second page. He has done it on Can't Find My way Back Home and Longer on my Target Lite.

Respectfully:

John J. Gardiner

PS. Merry Christmas to you all

TGNesh

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:25 am

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out and introducing yourself somewhat at the same time too.

I'm glad that the guitar is back in your life and you're enjoying Neil's lessons. I'm not sure if he's able to get to your question. It's been a rough week at TG-Central.

Unfortunately, i can't answer your question, but i do wanna welcome you to TG and the forums.

All the best to you and your family,

Vanessa

johnjamesg wrote:
Neil: I was having trouble with my target light. Jameela assisted me. I sent her an email which is copied here. It explains what I am asking for. Thanks. And thanks for the years of songs.

Jameela:
I want to tell you a bit of a story, then ask a question. I am 65 years old, retired from 27 years of policing in Canada. My wife and I had two sons very close together in age. They are now in their late 30's. My wife and I decided that we would live on one income in order to parent our boys. Mother being the first teacher and women being the soul of life.There were times that I went to work and didn't have $$$ for a coffee. We were in love and scraped by. we were a family. Early in my career I would take out my guitar and play a few chords or scales. My oldest son, just a child, would come over to me and with both hands strum my guitar. My father bought him a kids guitar. One Christmas when Luke was 6, I had no money for gifts. So I put a bow on my guitar and gave it to him. He plays like a wizard today. I never played for almost 30 years. I bought a guitar when I retired and found Neil's lessons. I think it has been 10 years. I practice most every day. I'm not gifted, I just love music. I don't want to earn a living with music, just want to loose myself and maybe make some folks smile for a while. Maybe it will help me after 27 years of being in people lives on the worst day of their lives.

My question. I am trying very hard to practice the Sage by the late great Greg Lake. I can do this. However I find Neils hands all over the fret board, the explanation of finger positions difficult to follow. Would you ask him if he would send me the finger positions in the form of chord diagrams. In particular the second page. He has done it on Can't Find My way Back Home and Longer on my Target Lite.

Respectfully:

John J. Gardiner

TGNeil

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 am

Hi John,

Welcome to TG, and thanks for the story and request. I will take a look at the lesson and see what I can do as far as chord diagrams.

All the best,

Neil

TGNeil

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Hey Gang,

I took a little time today to address John's request. There are new attachments on the lesson titled The Sage 2017. Let me know if that helps or something else is needed.

Neil

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -sage.html

sbutler

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Neil, a few weeks ago, you were looking for songs that would be great 12 string lessons. After I looked at the chord charts that you added, I re-acquainted myself with this song, and all i could think of is, "How awesome that would sound on a 12 string".

You'd have to have a gorilla grip to play it, but wow what a sound it could be.

SCott

wrsomers

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm

johnjamesg wrote:

Jameela:

Respectfully:

John J. Gardiner

Hi John,
And welcome to TG. I totally get your request regarding clarity of finger positions. I have been one of a few (maybe many) who have been asking for better instruction with regard to finger positions on the neck. In fact I just went through an ordeal here at TG where I was criticized for asking that the teacher's lessons include a guitar with fret markers. Chord diagrams would also help a great deal.

You might find the thread that dealt with this issue and may wonder why I talk about being criticized. Unfortunately you won't see those parts of the thread because TG Central went in and sanitized the thread, deleting some forum member's less than gratuitous remarks, and then locked it so no one could make any more comments on the subject.

I wish you luck with your request but realistically I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I know I'm probably opening another can of worms, but damn it, we are paying customers and reasonable requests by paying customers should be dealt with seriously rather than through jibes, scoffs and scolding.

Best Wishes,
Bill

TGNeil

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Hey Bill,

I guess you missed that I uploaded the requested diagrams earlier today?

Neil

...and I don't think TG took anything down that the posters didn't ask us to, or did any sanitizing. It was locked because there started to be too many personal attacks, as I'm sure you remember. And, once again, some specific examples of where you could not learn a song because of my less than satisfactory teaching style would be helpful for me to improve. I probably won't be redoing any of the 1000+ lessons here but knowing which exact songs could be done better might change that.

wrsomers wrote:
johnjamesg wrote:

Jameela:

Respectfully:

John J. Gardiner

Hi John,
And welcome to TG. I totally get your request regarding clarity of finger positions. I have been one of a few (maybe many) who have been asking for better instruction with regard to finger positions on the neck. In fact I just went through an ordeal here at TG where I was criticized for asking that the teacher's lessons include a guitar with fret markers. Chord diagrams would also help a great deal.

You might find the thread that dealt with this issue and may wonder why I talk about being criticized. Unfortunately you won't see those parts of the thread because TG Central went in and sanitized the thread, deleting some forum member's less than gratuitous remarks, and then locked it so no one could make any more comments on the subject.

I wish you luck with your request but realistically I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I know I'm probably opening another can of worms, but damn it, we are paying customers and reasonable requests by paying customers should be dealt with seriously rather than through jibes, scoffs and scolding.

Best Wishes,
Bill

wrsomers

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:47 am

TGNeil wrote:
Hey Bill,

I guess you missed that I uploaded the requested diagrams earlier today?

Neil

...and I don't think TG took anything down that the posters didn't ask us to, or did any sanitizing. It was locked because there started to be too many personal attacks, as I'm sure you remember. And, once again, some specific examples of where you could not learn a song because of my less than satisfactory teaching style would be helpful for me to improve. I probably won't be redoing any of the 1000+ lessons here but knowing which exact songs could be done better might change that.
Hi Neil,
Yes, I did miss the new tab you posted. Thanks for doing that. Having chord diagrams is a major help. Going forward, I think adding tabs like that to all of your lessons would be a wonderful improvement. And I'll be sure to let you know of any specific existing lessons where I think they would prove to be helpful.

With regard to that "infamous" thread...I can understand why certain posts needed to be removed as some were quite harsh. I only wish that the whole thread had been removed or at least back to the first page of it. What was left on that thread were comments from three people (David, Uncle Walt and I) who appeared to be debating with themselves.

I know that I spilled out the "bad can of worms" which you opened and feel sorry about where that took the thread. But I don't regret any of my comments because unlike at least one other poster, I didn't resort to personal attacks. And I still believe my requests were reasonable.

I hope all is well with you and your family. My deepest sympathies for the loss of your beloved pet. Season's greetings to you, yours, and all TGers!

Bill

wiley

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am

Bill, and any and all concerned -

The removal of my responses on that thread, and many others, were removed by myself, by my own choice and doings. TG, Neil, nor any administrator or technician had anything to do with either the physical removal or the decision to do so.

My sincere apologies to the TG staff and to Neil if any thoughts towards any actions I have taken were mistakenly directed towards them.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Wiley.

johnjamesg

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Neil... I got the changes to Sage 2017. I greatly appreciate the help. Happy New Year.
My wife and I are seeing Burton Cummings December 29th at Scotia Centre, Niagara falls.

John Gardiner.

PS
Thanks Vanessa and Help Staff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic