Trouble with video

Feel free to get outside the box here.
unclewalt

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Yeah, I know there's a rule, for whatever reason, about posting support questions in the forum, but I tried emailing support two days ago, and got no response.

I just rejoined Target after a long layoff, and videos aren’t playing for me in Chrome, on an iMac. The free, popup preview works ok, but the links to the lesson parts do nothing. Nothing even tries to load. Choosing “open in new tab” on video links just loads the lesson page. The videos work for me on Firefox, but Chrome is my default browser.

I have the latest version of Chrome, I have tried relaunching and clearing the cache, and I have whitelisted the site on both of my autoplay blockers. I'm not having any similar problems with any other videos.

Anybody else out there have this problem?

Thanks.

daryl

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I don't know if this will help but if you do search for "flash" in the forum you should find this (from tgjameela):

Just to add a bit of background to this. The secure certificate is not the issue, it's related to browsers no longer supporting Flash, this has become a new web standard across all major browsers, and now installing Flash isn't enough, you have to actually go in and ask the browser to allow it. Some browsers will save your settings, Chrome unfortunately does not any more so you have to enable it each time you come back.

All of our current videos are done in Flash and in lieu of going thru and updating them all we have decided the the time is better suited towards fixing the site as a whole, including a new player format that does not utilize flash.

Regarding the certificate, there is a ton of mixed content across the site and installing a site wide SSL (which we would absolutely love to do) would inevitably break a lot of the site, so we have opted to only apply the certificate on pages that collect personal information. You'll notice if you purchase a lesson or subscribe to the TARGET program that the SSL is in place on those pages.

We appreciate everyone that continues to utilize the site in spite of these technical difficulties, our support team is of course more than happy to assist with any issues that arise, so please feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected] if you run into any trouble.

Thanks again everyone!

unclewalt

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for this! It didn't help, though. I was hopeful that the browser-level Flash blocker was the problem, but it wasn't. I turned it completely off, and still nothing. I was pretty sure that was the case because it's not giving me the option to allow it, as it normally does. As noted, I click on the video link and nothing happens at all.

It's kind of amazing that it's 2019 and I'm still dealing with Flash issues. Flash should have been banned by an act of Congress and UN treaty within a year of its release.

daryl wrote:
I don't know if this will help but if you do search for "flash" in the forum you should find this (from tgjameela):

Just to add a bit of background to this. The secure certificate is not the issue, it's related to browsers no longer supporting Flash, this has become a new web standard across all major browsers, and now installing Flash isn't enough, you have to actually go in and ask the browser to allow it. Some browsers will save your settings, Chrome unfortunately does not any more so you have to enable it each time you come back.

All of our current videos are done in Flash and in lieu of going thru and updating them all we have decided the the time is better suited towards fixing the site as a whole, including a new player format that does not utilize flash.

Regarding the certificate, there is a ton of mixed content across the site and installing a site wide SSL (which we would absolutely love to do) would inevitably break a lot of the site, so we have opted to only apply the certificate on pages that collect personal information. You'll notice if you purchase a lesson or subscribe to the TARGET program that the SSL is in place on those pages.

We appreciate everyone that continues to utilize the site in spite of these technical difficulties, our support team is of course more than happy to assist with any issues that arise, so please feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected] if you run into any trouble.

Thanks again everyone!

unclewalt

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Ok, well, I figured it out on my own, via Googling. I had changed the Chrome settings under "settings," where I have always changed settings (you know, because it's called "settings"), but that didn't do anything. But upon Googling, I saw that you can allow Flash on particular sites by clicking the little icon immediately to the left of the the URL, and that worked. It makes no sense, since in "settings," I allowed Flash for all sites, relaunched my browser, made sure it was still allowed for all sites, and it still didn't work. Anyway, problem solved, DIY.

Thanks again, Daryl.

tgjameela

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey unclewalt,

Thanks for reaching out and we appreciate your patience on your support ticket, I just shot a reply but it looks like you solved it!

Bear in mind that you most likely will need to set Flash to "Allow" each time you come to the site, Chrome does that for me so I don't doubt it's happening for others.

Welcome back to the TARGET program and if there is anything we can do to further assist you be sure to let us know.

Thanks again!
Jameela

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic