Making sense of the tab for Classical Gas

Feel free to get outside the box here.
tgjameela

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Everyone,

One of our members wrote into support on the tab for Classical Gas.

"My question is regarding the sheet music from your lesson. I do not
understand how to follow it, especially the Roman numerals. Would you
please help me understand how to follow the sheet music (using bar
numbers would be helpful) or point me to a site that I could read to
understand how to follow the sheet music?"

Any insight would be much appreciated!

TGNeil

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi,

In standard classical guitar notation Roman Numerals are used to designate barres played with the left hand. The numeral refers to the fret. In this song I used parentheses to show where the barre is lifted off the lower strings but kept intact for the change to the next fret.
As far as bar numbers, they are at the beginning of each line but each Section starts with measure 1 again.

Neil

alphawolf

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Doh! Makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

TGNeil

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:42 pm

alphawolf wrote:
Doh! Makes perfect sense now. Thank you.
Great! Let me know how you progress on this challenging piece, or if you have any other questions. I have modified the part with the quick changing barres for many students, just playing 3 notes on standard shapes of the 4 chords (C-F-D-G) before the measure in 3/4 time is much easier (and the way Mason really played it).

Neil

alphawolf

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:24 pm

This is a song I have tried to learn for many, many years. Thanks to your lessons, I am currently through section B - although at about 1/10 the speed that Mason Williams plays. :)

Your lessons are great and I thank you. I will review your updates. If it is good enough for Mason, who am I to argue? What a brilliant work!

Arthur

alphawolf

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Just a quick update.

This is a song I've wanted to play since I first heard it in 1968. I have made many attempts over the years.

I retired 6 months ago and was determined to learn how to play Classical Gas once and for all. Well, after 6 months, I've finally succeeded!! I continue to work on the song and improve it (the slow metronome play through is very helpful), but I can play the song from start to finish - a bit slower than Mason's version. LOL

Neil, I just want to thank you so much for this great lesson. It means so much for me to play this song and I couldn't have accomplished it without your great lessons and helpful hints.

THANK YOU!!!!

Arthur

dtaylor

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Congratulations, Arthur, It'd be a treat to hear your rendition if you can record yourself...

alphawolf

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:32 pm

I would love to send you a recording, warts and all. What is the best way to send it to you?

Arthur

dtaylor

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Best if you can video yourself and upload to YouTube to get feedback from Neil; you could upload an audio file to soundcloud and post the link here if that suits.

alphawolf

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:36 pm

OK, thanks. Let me figure out how to do one of those.

Feedback, other than give up playing the guitar, is always welcome. :)

Thanks
Arthur

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic