Variation of Radio Hula

Feel free to get outside the box here.
jlguitar

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 am

I have recently become interested in Hawaiian Slack Key guitar and have been working through the Totally Guitars Radio Hula lesson as an intro to this style of music. I have seen multiple YouTube lessons and have multiple versions of the tablature. My goal is to try to "recreate" a recording I have of Radio Hula by Ledward Kaapana. Now, everything that I have read and heard about Ledward Kaapana and how he plays Radio Hula has told me that he hardly ever plays it the same way twice. And I have also heard and been encouraged to experiment with the song and add my own style, phrases, and ... stuff. All that being said, there is a short 4 or 5 second phase, a measure or two, in the Ledward recording that I have not yet been able to figure out. I have extracted the part of the song into a short mp3 file for anyone who thinks they can decode it for me. I have not attached the mp3 here (I don't even know if that's possible), but I can attach it if anyone is interested. Just looking for help, hints, or suggestions.
Thanks.

TGNeil

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:56 am

Hi and thanks for the message. If you can put a link to a YouTube video here with the time where those measures are I might be able to help you out. Here is one of his studio versions but there are a few live ones out there as well.

Neil

jlguitar

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Hi Neil. Thanks for responding to this question. The recording of Radio Hula that I have been listening to actually is the same "& Friends" recording that you attached to your response. The particular phrase that I am interested in is "introduced" at about 1:19 with that 3-string bar slide from fret 11 to 12 and a couple of hits on the 14th fret of the 1st string. At about 1:24 to about 1:28 there is a staccato phrase that almost sounds lightly muted. That's the part that is challenging me. As you well know, Radio Hula has repeating themes and this particular theme is repeated (with maybe some minor variations) at about 1:44 through about 1:53.

I appreciate you looking into to this for me. This particular phrase in the song is like an itch that I cannot manage to scratch.
Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic