Feedback on new website - transition from Old to New

Feel free to get outside the box here.
familyman4

Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 am

Another update that makes the search easier...

Walt, when I go to the old website, I don't need to sign in. Just click on the "Lessons" button and then a search pops up. That is where I type in the name of the song to get the song number. (This keeps from having so many tabs opened up)

Bart

kchesney

Wed May 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi Walt, Bart and Jameela,

The discussion on search between being logged and not is specific to the new website. The old website works fine for search, albeit the new website when not logged in is superior to the old website while the old site is superior to the new website if logged in. Needless to say, if you're looking for a specific artist and/or lesson, and you want to use the new website, the search is easier if you use a window that is not logged into the new site to find your lesson, copy the url and paste it into a window where you are logged into the new site. While I hope that the development team at Totally guitars.com will have this fixed soon, I provided this workaround for Walt, if he wanted to utilize the advanced search as it saves time. Alternatively, I suppose he can use the old website as it's fairly easy to find songs there, although some of the new lessons may not be added to the old site. I hope this additional information is helpful to you all.

Best,
Kevin

tgjameela

Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Bart,

Thanks for flagging the lesson Mr Bojangles, the free preview was incorrect so it has been removed.

I updated the lesson so Part 1 is available to view free and the rest of the lesson you can view on the membership site when logged in.

Any other mistakes on lesson pages please shoot us an email [email protected] and we'll work on them there.

Thanks guys!
Jameela

unclewalt

Thu May 28, 2020 7:09 pm

Alternatively, I’m just going to wait to renew my sub until I can use the site without having to study up or do a lot of acrobatics.

I’ve been through a number of site redesigns myself, so I sympathize. But it seems clear that this one was prematurely launched. I mean ... I paid $25 for this.

Good luck with it!

rftejerry

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Neil and TG Team,

I’ve been using the new, Totally Lessons, site for a little over a week now and have some feedback. I echo the feedback that Kevin and others has given so my feedback is on specific lessons I’ve tried but I’m sure they could apply to others.

1. Using the filters artist/band -> Simon & Garfunkel the lesson “sound of silence” only appears as the fly on the wall version with Sandy. However leaving “category” filter cleared and only selecting the filter, difficulty -> intermediate, both the song lesson and the fly on the wall version are present on tab 38. however, there are no lesson materials (charts/tab). The “lesson part” videos do not play in FireFox. The videos displays “Video unavailable”. I am using FireFox browser, version 76.0.1 running on a MacBook Pro with OS Catalina. They do play in Safari.

2. It took me awhile to find the lesson for the Beatles song, “We Can Work”. It has a difficulty level of “no level”. However, the filters do not have that as a choice but I learned by trial and error that no selection in any menu is the, default, “no level”.

3. The lesson, I”’ll Follow the Sun” only has the Free Preview and no lesson parts.

4. It appears that the song lessons are listed in order of date created or modified with the newest lessons on first page? This makes it difficult to find previously played lessons quickly unless you remembered the year published or the difficulty level. I’ve read that a search feature will be added in the future. This should solve this issue.

5. In the following lessons, except for the free preview, all of the “lesson parts” do not play if using FireFox. The videos display “Video Unavailable”. For example: Day Tripper, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Here Comes The Sun and Sounds Of Silence. They do play in Apple Safari.
Some of the lessons are missing the lesson materials.

6. There was a time when Apple Safari was not the browser recommended by TG and I switched to FireFox. Now it seems to be reversed? Does TG/TL have a preferred browser? Currently I am using a MacBook Pro running OS Catalina (10.15.4).

Thanks,
Jerry

tgjameela

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:11 am

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comment and feedback!

I checked these lessons you mentioned and here's what I found.

Sounds of Silence was categorized under Paul Simon, so I swapped that up so it will now appear under Simon & Garfunkel, the other fly on the wall lesson was removed as it was a free preview anyway, which is currently on the lesson page.

Regarding the Video Unavailable error, I have been recommending to clear cache when this happens as the issue doesn't seem to persist for long.

I updated the lesson We Can Work It Out to Intermediate as this seems to be the level that appeared on the old site. I would also encourage you to check out the video I shared on this thread that shows you how to leverage the Totally Guitars search to find lessons on the Totally Lessons side, it's an easy workaround you can use until we have the search launched on the new site.

I checked I'll Follow the Sun and the full lesson is there, it's only one part and is under the Free Preview.

For any lessons that aren't working on missing materials, parts etc we ask that you please submit a support ticket or shoot us an email at [email protected], we migrated a massive library of content and expected there to be some mistakes that we can resolve in production, so we appreciate any and all reports.

The lessons should work across all browsers with the new site, so feel free to use your browser of choice, if you have any issues at all on any browser we ask that you clear cache/cookies and make sure you are running the latest version.

Hope these details help!

We appreciate you sharing this info with us and look forward to continuing to make improvements :)

Thanks again!
Jameela

familyman4

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Any update on progress for adding an A/B Looper feature would be appreciated.

Bart

auntlynnie

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Neil, Jameela, et al,
So far, the new site is working fine for my purposes. One request though: I'm usually looking for a specific song and the new search method is a bit cumbersome because I don't always know the artist that the song might be listed under. In addition to the current method, it would be great to have a search window where one can simply search for a specific song title.
Thanks,
Lynn

jayswett

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:22 am

One comment and two questions:

1) I'm glad to hear that the forum section will be undergoing some format modifications. I felt like I was having a hard time understanding the layout and for that reason found myself visiting it less often than I had on the old site. The old forum had a button that allowed for presenting the "latest posts" in a single list, which allowed for easy review of the most recent comments. If the current forum has that option as well, I have not seen it.

2) My understanding is that videos for totally keys, totally vocals and totally electric are available for viewing, and I do see links to them from time to time, but are they organized in such a way that I can get a single listing with lesson categories for each one? I guess what I was expecting was a separate location within this website for all of Jim's vocal lessons, for example, or all of the keyboard lessons. Perhaps a tab along the top of the website for "totally vocals" or "totally electric"?

3) In order to write this reply, I had to sign into the forum section with a different username than the one I used to log into the website just moments before. This is likely to be confusing to people, especially new subscribers to the website. I am not a Koa Club member, so maybe it's different for that crew. I guess my question is whether or not that could be changed so as not require a log in at all to the forum section once we have already logged into the webiste. If there is no way around that, perhaps keep the usernames the same.

That's all. The search function is a nice addition. No question.

TGNeil

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:46 am

Hi Jay,

At first I was confused by not having a 'latest posts' link as well. The equivalent is now under Quick Links - Active Topics.

And everything will look quite different in a couple days.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic