Arthritis challenges

Feel free to get outside the box here.
auntlynnie

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:57 am

This is becoming more and more of a problem and I would imagine that I'm not the only one.
I have arthritis in both of my index fingers. It is not so much of a problem with my fingerpicking hand, but the I'm finding that I have to change the way I play some chords, preferring to bar F chords, rather than playing the short F. Now, even an open C is beginning to be a problem.
So my question is, have you found anything that helps?

Lynn

familyman4

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:29 pm

CBD Oil. It works better than regular arthritis medicine for me.

Give it a try Lynn, what can it hurt....

Bart

auntlynnie

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks, Bart,
I recently picked up some topical CBD oil. Do you mean that or ingestible?
Lynn

familyman4

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:27 pm

I first tried the topical cream, that didn't work for me. Then I tried the 750 strength ingest & that has helped a lot. You can get this with or without the THC. I have also found that the THC works like a catalist for the CBD oil and works best. (For me anyway). This is a small amount of THC and will not get you high or effect you in that way at all, it just seems to help the easing of the hand arthritis pain. I can tell when I forget to take my daily dose for sure.

Hope this helps you!
Bart

auntlynnie

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks so much, Bart.
I will give it a try. THC is not yet legal here in Virginia, but it probably won't be long.
Lynn

michelew

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi Lynn,

Have you tried playing nylon strings. They may just help to reduce the stress and pressure you need to apply.

I have a Taylor nylon hybrid. The sound is different to either a steel string or a classical (and the projection is less), but it’s not bad. It has a thinner fingerboard than a classical but wider than a steel string, that might help with reduced mobility a little too.

I suggest giving one a try next time you’re in a music store.

Or... there’s always a ukulele.

Good luck.

Shel

auntlynnie

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Michele,
I have played a Taylor hybrid and liked it very much. It may be time.....
Thanks for the reminder,
Lynn

Rbinding

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi Lynn,
Another drug that has recently become available over the counter is Voltarin or Diclofenac 1% Gel. I've used it for years on an arthritic toe and also have been using it on my left lateral wrist and thumb to help with guitar aches and pains. It's a topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Now available at Walgreens for a whole lot less than I used to pay for the prescription! And no, I have no stock in the company and am not a rep!

Ron

Rbinding

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I have a couple of other thoughts to add. Jorma sells CDB products at the Fur Peace Ranch Company Store. They are offering some deals during the Saturday night Quarantine Concerts - BTW Jack drove from LA and they will be doing HotTuna the next two weeks! Another thing I have used is MELT. You order a pouch with a few small balls of varying size and density. It includes a CD that goes over various exercises to loosen up tissue in your hands and feet. It does help with range of motion and it's nice to be able to work around the areas causing pain and help reduce tension in the adjacent tissue. I have also used Rolfing over the years to help with muscle tension and posture. I have been amazed at how much pain in the hand/wrist area can be relieved by stripping and loosening the muscles in the forearms and even on up into the neck. Everything is connected! Finally I would mention acupunture/acupressure. I tried it once and thought it was helpful, but I know several people who love it.

Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic