A Theory Question

Lavallee

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:51 am

I was puzzled because the regular Major and minor scales are all differents while the pentatonics are the same (sort of).

Thanks

Marc

KennyF

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:21 am

Lavallee wrote:
I was puzzled because the regular Major and minor scales are all differents while the pentatonics are the same (sort of).

Thanks

Marc
Marc, Listen to what Ric said in the quote below.

rcsnydley wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean Marc. I guess if you study them individually you have to have patterns for each, you just can't say pattern 1 is just major's pattern 5. If you hadn't study the major patterns yet it wouldn't make sense.

Keep Playing
Ric
To which I'll add; "Learn all positions of the MAJOR SCALE"!!! Seriously brother!

Soon you will see a lot more similarities and we haven't even touched on modes yet... BUT first you need to have the major scale hard wired into your brain, the entire length of the neck. Believe me, it will save you a lot of aggravation as you progress. In fact, scale study from that point on will be monumentally easier.

You'll see... Eventually, all this will become crystal clear.

Lavallee

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks Ric and Kenny, I least I have a wire to follow. Without a path of learning, it is easy to get sidetracked and never complete anything. This is something that could be added to TG. Having a time line or sequence of the theory that should be learned. Without going to deep in the explaination of each step since it is available on the net, it would be useful to understand the reason for the progression. You need to learn step 1 to be able to understand step 2 because... and so on.

To paraphrase Ric who said in an another thread, I need to understand the mechanics of what I do to perform. I was never a great athlete But I was more than decent in pretty much sport I praticed because I would study the basics. It will of course apply to guitar, but I need a path to follow.

Marc

DBabsJr

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am

Here’s a quick stab at a starting path for learning some music theory. This is what I've been working on. We can build on this and make it something worthwhile for people wanting to learn.
The Theory Part – Guitar not really required
1. Start with the letters of the alphabet used for music notes, both forwards and backwards. See Neil’s Introducing: The Alphabet lesson at http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... e-alphabet
2. Get an understanding of intervals. See the Introducing: Half Steps lesson at http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... half-steps and the Introducing: Intervals lesson at http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... -intervals.
3. Combine steps 1 & 2 and study the spaces between each of the notes. For example, there’s a whole step between all except B & C and E & F. See the Introducing: Natural Notes lesson at http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... ural-notes.
4. Learn the pattern of intervals that make up the major scale. W-W-H-W-W-W-H The reason this is so important is because it seems most music theory is based off of it. For example, want a major chord in any key? Take the Root, 3rd, and 5th. Want a minor chord? Take the Root, flatted 3rd (as related to the Major Scale), and 5th. All other chords are similar.

The Practical Part – Guitar required
1. Learn where every note is on the guitar.
2. Now that you have a basic understanding of the theory, build the major scale for one key all the way up and down the neck. This will help you see the notes and intervals as they relate to each other physically on the fretboard. Listen for the familiar do-re-me… sound as you do

Lavallee

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks a lot DBabs for taking the time to put this (just gave you a Karma point). I had never noticed the tips because a have a bit of experience (little knowledge is dangerous :) ) and I am going all over the place trying this and that.

It just reflects what I was trying to explain above. If there was a progession chart with the links to the video (like you just demonstrate)that are pertinent, learning guitar theory would make sense.

Marc

BigBear

Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:25 pm

DBabs- Good effort! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the contribution! Talk about starting off your first post with a bang!!:)

rcsnydley

Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Dbabs. Looking forward to many more great post like your first one.:)

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:34 pm

DBabsJr wrote:
Here’s a quick stab at a starting path for learning some music theory. This is what I've been working on. We can build on this and make it something worthwhile for people wanting to learn.
The Theory Part – Guitar not really required etc etc ....

The Practical Part – Guitar required
Wow great post and great start karma on its way...

DBabsJr

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks... Hopefully we can fill in this roadmap as new lessons are added.

AndyT

Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:55 pm

DBabs,
Good Joss Boss. Who's shoulders you riding on in your picture? ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic