Alternate Tunings

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:19 pm

O.K., here is another question..........

Not sure if it is really a theory question, but did not see anywhere else for it either.

The question is about alternate tunings. There are several that I know of, but none that I am really familiar with. Do you have any favorites and why?

Also, is there some sort of trick to chord formations with alternate tunings, or is it just kind of trial and error to get what sounds right?

I get somewhat overwhelmed by the use of them, mostly because I don't know the chord formations. I get the use for melody style work as it gives easier access to some notes that would otherwise be difficult to get to.

Again, any sharing of knowledge on this topic would be great!

MJ

BigBear

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 pm

The only "trick" to alternate tunings seems to be the chords are often very different. I play a little in DADGAD which is pretty easy. Many of the chords are really easy and you get a really beautiful xound. I guess that's why it works so well for Celtic and Irish folk music.

The most common alternate tuning by far is Drop D. Double Drop D is pretty common too with Neil Young and others. I also really like EEEEBE which Stephen Stills uses on 4+20. Plus if you just drop all the strings a half or full step I guess that also qualifies as an alternate tuning although the standard chords don't change.

The problem for me is I have enough trouble with standard tuning and if I start messing around with alternate tunings I can lose a whole evening or two. It's a nice diversion but I need to focus. If you want to play around with DADGAD Homespun's Artie Traum 3-part DVD series is really good. I've only made it through about one and half DVD's. Artie passed away a couple of years ago and we lost a really great teacher.

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head for me as well. I have a hard enough time with standard tuning! I see TAB for songs in Drop D and Double Drop D all the time, and I have tried a few that sound really good. One that pops into mind is a song I would LOVE to learn: Rocky Mountain High by John Denver. I have a pretty decent video for it but, again, I have to stay focused (way easier said than done for me.....). I like to ask these questions as they pop into my mind though, or else I forget about them.

Thanks for the input.

Mj

BigBear

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:34 pm

John Denver did a bunch of stuff in Drop D and other tunings, maybe more in alternate tunings than regular ones. Rocky Mountain High is one of his more difficult pieces to fingerpick I found. If you really want to learn that song, Pete Huttlinger's series on Playing the Songs of John Denver is outstanding. Pete is a Berklee College grad and a National Fingerstyle Champion plus he's a heck of an instructor. I don't remember which disc it's on, I think 1 or 2. Check Homespun or eBay. John Denver, despite his general cheezeball demeanor, was a really talented guitarist and a great fingerpicker!

haoli25

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Very True, Bear. John Denver also was in the habit of tuning his 12-strings down a whole step too. I actually prefer the sound of a half step down, it sounds brighter and louder to me.
You are also right about Pete Huttinger's instructions. They are excellent.

Haoli

Music Junkie

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks you two, I have never heard of Pete Huttlinger. I will make sure to google that and see if I can find the DVD you are talking about! One of these years, I am going to surprise my hiking crew with that song around the campfire.....

MJ

BigBear

Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Thanks you two, I have never heard of Pete Huttlinger. I will make sure to google that and see if I can find the DVD you are talking about! One of these years, I am going to surprise my hiking crew with that song around the campfire.....
MJ- here's a place to start.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=776

Music Junkie

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice, looks interesting. I'll have to see about getting a copy of that, as Annie's Song is another good one.

Thanks!

MJ

haoli25

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 pm

...and I might add MJ, Annie's Song and Rhymes and
Reason sound really good on a 12-string.

For those of us that don't sing (I am not allowed to
even hum in several states), we need all the help
we can get.

Haoli

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 am

haoli25 wrote:
...and I might add MJ, Annie's Song and Rhymes and
Reason sound really good on a 12-string.

For those of us that don't sing (I am not allowed to
even hum in several states), we need all the help
we can get.

Haoli
I don't know much about 12-Strings. I do know that they sound big and bright, but I have never picked one up and gave it go. Being a lefty kind of limits what you get to test drive.....

I would love to try one out sometime, and just see how it is set up.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic