Alternate Tunings

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:24 am

Music Junkie wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
...and I might add MJ, Annie's Song and Rhymes and
Reason sound really good on a 12-string.

For those of us that don't sing (I am not allowed to
even hum in several states), we need all the help
we can get.

Haoli
I don't know much about 12-Strings. I do know that they sound big and bright, but I have never picked one up and gave it go. Being a lefty kind of limits what you get to test drive.....

I would love to try one out sometime, and just see how it is set up.

MJ
Hi Haoli, 12's are daunting to begin with and tuning was a nightmanre to begin with but some songs are just meant for it. The Byrds Roger McGuin was a master.

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:25 am

I like playing open G a lot, great for slide work and quite a few Rolling Stones songs. I also use Drop D and sometimes Double drop D, haven't really mastered the art of determining all the chords yet thats a slow painful process but nevertheless fun

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:28 am

Another unusual tuning I use only for one song really so its a pain but Neil Youngs Don't Let It Bring You Down I do in C G C F A C, now this sounds real cool

mmcg

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Another unusual tuning I use only for one song really so its a pain but Neil Youngs Don't Let It Bring You Down I do in C G C F A C, now this sounds real cool
How did you discover this tuning for this song Chas? The only version of Don't Let It Bring You Down I know is in Drop D.

I use Drop D, Double Drop D, Open D, Open G mostly. Occasionally I'll try something different but those are the main alternate tunings I use.

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 am

gingold wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
How did you discover this tuning for this song Chas? The only version of Don't Let It Bring You Down I know is in Drop D.
I found it on Chordie, apparently it was one of three tunings Neil used for the song

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am

O.K. I stumbled across this little bit of info this morning. Kermit had forwarded me a nice TAB and I was just double checking my tunings. I thought that some of you might be interested as well.

It gives some pretty good info on alternate tunings.

http://eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu/~sethares/ ... nings.html

MJ

BigBear

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Chas- you Kiwi scoundrel, you changed your avatar!! ROFL! :lol:

BigBear

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Is it just me but isn't it a royal pain to tune your guitar to alternate tunings just for one song? Plus hard on your strings! I need a good roadie and a few more guitars! LOL!

I really love alternate tuings but it's such a pain! I know, do I have some cheese to go with that whine!! :lol:

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:14 pm

My thoughts exactly! I guess if you love the song enough, it wouldn't be that bad.....

Either that, or have one guitar for each and every possible alternate tuning (my personal fav).

It is not so bad to do Drop D or Double Drop D, but some of these others are quite a change.

I have a nice little chromatic tuner that clips onto my headstock and makes tuning easy enough though.

BigBear

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
My thoughts exactly! I guess if you love the song enough, it wouldn't be that bad.....

Either that, or have one guitar for each and every possible alternate tuning (my personal fav).

It is not so bad to do Drop D or Double Drop D, but some of these others are quite a change.

I have a nice little chromatic tuner that clips onto my headstock and makes tuning easy enough though.
MJ- I love Stephen Stills' 4+20 but it's in E-E-E-E-B-E. Only three strings but it's still a pain! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic