Universal Scale

wiley

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 pm

tombo1230

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 am

My oh my......whát a thread????!!!! 'HUH??' is the word here! :laugh:

Well said Dermot! :)

Personally when playing I do look at the chordprogression as in numbers, degrees, whatever. But you're right, you really need to know the scales/chords, then again, if you know the names of the notes on the bottomstrings, then you're all set in ány key! :P ;)

thereshopeyet wrote:

For example a chord progression ....... I IV V I
The assumption being you know the notes and chords of a key.
The I IV I V is universal in that it transfers to all scales and harmonised key chords without musical name detail ?

For example - assuming you know the notes of all scales:
The same stands for scale notes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ..... the note number transfers to any scale, without naming a note so it's a universal naming convention !

Of course you need to know which key your in first, then apply the numbers ( universal names) appropriately etc.

:S :S
:ohmy:

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 am

... we's all goin' to hell in a handbasket ...

wiley wrote:
I thought 'Universal Scale" was a company that built those things you can stand on to see just how much gravity you have gained (or lost) over the years!!

As for the "Nashville System" now, that would explain the 'universal' way one transcribes degrees of things like chords without the need to change the 'letters' each time. Like, I///IV///V///I/// is, in the key of C = C///F///G///C/// and/or in the key of G = G///C///D///G/// and so on....

As for the 'gravity' thingy, it can be debated if it 'really' even exist (gravity that is) now we gonna talk about Einstein and the law of relativity and Newton and Freud and.....ah hell, just watch that new Keifer Sutherland show on Fox, it explains it all!!
... maybe we'll have it cinched soon ... will keep you posted !!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 am

This thread is so old, I think the story below was reported at the same time... probably by Andy and just after the moon was towed into orbit by aliens... :-)

In the meantime, some of us may have actually learned a thing or two about scales 'nd stuff, thanks to Neil.
Wiley, you'd think by now we'd know something about gravity but, nope, it seems to be as mysterious as ever... Image

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Chris Wrote:
This thread is so old, I think the story below was reported at the same time
Click To Enlarge Image

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wiley

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 am

thereshopeyet

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Wiley

I just received my copy of the book this morning and spotted the same on page 16 a few moments
before signing on.

I remember asking a similar question a year or so ago ( with respect to tuning a guitar and reference notes)
but did not realise at the time (until now) I was referring to the universal system that Alex De Grassi refers to in the book.

Must say it's a great book with an amazing downloadable audio collection.

Dermot

Edit

Wiley
I found that topic and you had a large contribution in the discussion pages here:

Metronomes

You thanked and cussed me at the time !

Cusses I'm used to .... thanks, well :S :blush:

:laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic