Another Theory Question- Resolving

BigBear

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:46 pm

There's lots of discussion on this forum about "resolving" chords. My sense of resolving is to eliminate tension in the melody for example by bringing a lead or melody back to the root.

Is there more to this subject than this? I suspect the subject is much broader.

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:04 pm

As with any thing there is more to it and I will post some info on it if you would like. However, the bottom line is to create tension and relieve the tension. And of course the best way to relieve tension is moving back to the tonic. A couple of devices to do this are the ii, V, I progression and also the V of V, V, I progression.

Keep Playing
Ric

Music Junkie

Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:45 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
As with any thing there is more to it and I will post some info on it if you would like. However, the bottom line is to create tension and relieve the tension. And of course the best way to relieve tension is moving back to the tonic. A couple of devices to do this are the ii, V, I progression and also the V of V, V, I progression.

Keep Playing
Ric
He guys! This is a hot topic for me as far learning to transcribe a bit better. I sometimes have a difficult time hearing/feeling that "HOME" feeling. I see you posted a couple of progressions to help with this.....

I would love to see examples of chord progressions for different styles of music (jazz, rock, etc.). Are there a few popular examples of any of these somewhere in a neat fashion? I have seen books on progressions, but none that were very good (at least for me).

:unsure:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic