My Take: Neil and TG

AcousticAl

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 am

OK, I have seen the growth of Totallyguitars.com from its inception. I have read the questions and concerns of many members past and present. I am also in the unique position of having actually taken lessons from Neil in person for over a year. Here's my take (for what it's worth):

First off, Neil is a great guitar teacher. He is patient, knowlegdeable, and talented. The start of TG was sort of confusing. What was Neil's plan? I admit I didn't know at first--was he offering free lessons, TABS, etc.? When it became clear that he was going to charge for access to full lessons it turned many people off. My feeling is that is was more a case of feeling mislead from the youtube videos than the idea of paying for online lessons.

Now that it is clear what TG actually is I read many people's concerns over what they are learning (theory, techniques, practice, etc.) Many are confused and even frustrated over issues surrounding theory and technique.

Now, my two cents (which is probably what it's worth): Neil teaches guitar for a living. Consequently, he has to be a master of music in general and guitar specifically. In my opinion he is Classically trained. He has a mathematical precision in his approach to teaching and playing.

With that said, not everyone's approach will be exactly like Neil's. I can speak from personal experience that his style of playing did not always entirely mesh with how I wanted to play the guitar. He was exact and clean--I wanted to play Rock, and Chicago and Delta Blues where cleanliness and exactness isn't always necessary (or even desirable!) I was even turned off by some of the pieces he presented to me. I didn't start out wanting to play Ragtime or Classical music, but I took what he showed me and learned it the best I could.

Years later as I evolved and grew as a guitarist I appreciated what he taught me. I took what I needed from him and pursued my own musical interests. In so doing, I realized he gave me a foundation with which to expand my musical horizons that I wasn't going to get from bashing it out myself.

Now I am able to play just about any song or piece I desire if given the proper information. And while I'll likely never make a living playing guitar, I do perform solo and earn enough to keep me in strings at least!

So, in summary, there will always be growing pains and doubt when learning a new skill (or improving an old one). Just remember that Neil is guiding your journey. You don't have to play exactly like Neil (or anybody else for that matter) to make guitar playing and music your own. Imagine how boring it would be if everybody played guitar the same. Learn the tools that will take you where you want to go. Even if you are not aware of it, you will put your own unique stamp on your music. Take as much of it in as you can. As you grow you will keep what you need and make it a part of your musical journey.

Thanks for indulging me. Greg out...

haoli25

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 am

Very well said Greg. Karma for you.

AndyT

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:42 am

Excellent post. Well worth the read.

BigBear

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28 am

Greg, what an outstanding post!! You've provided anyone interested with the single best reason to learn theory and technique in styles that don't interest you at present. There is a huge difference between "learning the guitar" and getting a music education. The first can provide immediate gratification and the other provides a solid foundation for a lifetime of future exploration and enjoyment.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Neil should be proud to know how you feel!!

1robekert

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:37 am

I don't see why anyone would complain, not saying the OP is complaining, about what Neil has offered so far. It has exceeded my expectations. Really............$20 a month. Just for some perspective I pay $25 a week for lessons for my son. I am told that $25 for private lessons is cheap. I am willing to give Neil a long leash. I have paid much more for online lessons and gotten much less. I still cannot play that well but that is not Neil or anyone else's fault..........I just suck at guitar. My son just laughs at me. Keep up the good work Neil. I will get it eventually............if not I have blown $20 a month on much less.
Rob

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am

Awesome post, Greg, you hit the nail on the head. This post should be required reading.

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic