Why?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:58 am

Good question wrench! I've often felt understanding music theory and reading music is more like understanding languages. It is, in effect, just another language with grammar etc. There does seem to be some link with mathematical thinking (and I suggest with language too) and musical understanding as brain research by neuro-scientists (especially here in Zürich) have indicated. So, I wouldn't agree with Bear that it's, ehem, B.S. I think the listening part, hearing and reacting to the sounds and singing may be different though. Apparently McCartney hasn't learned to read music to this day.... and he's done pretty well with it, but I reckon he wouldn't find it too difficult if he spent the time on it.....

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:20 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Apparently McCartney hasn't learned to read music to this day.... and he's done pretty well with it, but I reckon he wouldn't find it too difficult if he spent the time on it.....
I have read of a few popular artists that cannot read music, or at least are not fluent in it. I was surprised to find that out. Guess being good is not totally dependent on reading music, but I would sure think it would help out. It would probably me a must for a session musician.

:)

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am

Reading music and having an understanding about how it works (theory) are really two different things. I can not read music, at least fluently, but I have a fairly decent understanding of music theory.

So, if you put sheet music in front of me I might struggle to play through it, but I will understand what chords they use and why. I will also be able to figure out the key and pick the correct scale to use to solo with it. I may even be able to use my knowledge to figure out some cool chord voicings and substitute chords.

Ric

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:41 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Reading music and having an understanding about how it works (theory) are really two different things. I can not read music, at least fluently, but I have a fairly decent understanding of music theory.

So, if you put sheet music in front of me I might struggle to play through it, but I will understand what chords they use and why. I will also be able to figure out the key and pick the correct scale to use to solo with it. I may even be able to use my knowledge to figure out some cool chord voicings and substitute chords.

Ric
Yeah, I can see that. I can read it (slowly) and work my way through it. I would not be able to sit down with sheet music and just start playing. That being said, I can understand the chords and progressions and then (thanks to help from this site) figure out which scales could be played over those progressions.

MJ

:)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Benny & Bjorn of ABBA composed there music together but didn't write a score ... that was only done when they decided to do the musical Mamamia... even then it was scored by someone else. People come at music from many difefrent directions, often from a love of singing or playing but with little interest in the nitty gritty bits.....

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Benny & Bjorn of ABBA composed there music together but didn't write a score ... that was only done when they decided to do the musical Mamamia... even then it was scored by someone else. People come at music from many difefrent directions, often from a love of singing or playing but with little interest in the nitty gritty bits.....
As a writer I have found it beneficial to know which chords work with each other, possible scales for leads, etc. However, that doesn't mean I write it all out.

When I am trying to show and explain the song or idea to my friends or band-mates it is much easier if I have some knowledge to make it understandable. It is also very advantageous if they also have some knowledge to be able to understand what I am saying and add their own "flavor" to it.

None of this necessarily entails reading music or writing a score, but it does necessitate an understanding of music and how it works (theory).

Ric

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:20 pm

...that sounds about right to me ric!

haoli25

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Just reading the last four comments, that's what makes the TARGET program so great. You can learn as much or as little as you choose. For the price, it is still the best resource on the internet.

Bill

AndyT

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:29 pm

I can read standard notation, but very slowly. I have to change it to TAB if I want to have a shot at playing it with any kind of speed. But I am getting better at knowing different chord shapes and keys.

wrench

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm

wrench wrote:
I've always believed that music and mathematics go hand in hand, so I just gotta know....

is anyone out there interested in and open minded to music theory, but poor at math?
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your answers. So I conclude that math and music theory are not as related as I thought.

What I see, however, is that many more people are interested in theory than I thought. I wonder to some extent if this comes with maturity. As an 11 year old, I was interested (read:impatient) in playing songs, and I wanted nothing to do with theory.

So my new question is, how many of you are more interested in theory now than you were in your early days?

wrench

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic