Why?

AndyT

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 am

Why do people have such a difficult time with theory? There must be something that most of us are missing and because of that, we find it very difficult to relate to the theory. So, what is this missing piece of info and how do we pass it on easily?

1robekert

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 am

I think it's like Algebra. Some get it, some don't. Some use it, some don't.

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

gingold wrote:
Greg, I think you may be on to something. I always loved Algebra and found it easy.

Theory though should be like practical math before calculators. You need to know how to add, subtract, multiple and divide, so you don't overspend at the grocery store. You may not need to know quadratic equations to balance your checkbook, unless it's my checkbook. :unsure:

Likewise, knowing what notes and chords are in what keys (major & minor). What a relative minor or major key is, how to use a capo (and what it is doing), etc. can really go a long way in moving you on in your guitar playing adventure.

Keep Playing
Ric

heyjoe

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 am

I think its probably because people can't/don't understand how all the theory relates to each component part...how time signatures, scales, modes, triads etc etc go together.

I'll admit that I've hardly ever looked at theory, I've looke don the internet and in books and there doesn't seem to be an logical order to it that I can identify. I'm a logocal kind of guy, so if someone could explain the logic behind scales etc and how they will benefit me, then I'd be greatful.

I'm trying to learn theory now, and its a very slow progress..where to start, what to do next etc etc, what I need to know, all questions I have, but very few answers.

Hope that gives you an insight into the mind of a theory novice.

Thanks

joe

willem

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:14 am

Yes WHY!!???.. ON ONE MOMENT I WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT, then i have purchased me a book ''simpel communal musicteach''(in dutch ''eenvoudige algemene muziekleer'') ofcourse it starts at the beginning and goes a lot about harmonie in the music, i'v learned there to read notes and much more that i now don't wanna mis...

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:09 am

rcsnydley wrote:
gingold wrote:
Greg, I think you may be on to something. I always loved Algebra and found it easy.

Theory though should be like practical math before calculators. You need to know how to add, subtract, multiple and divide, so you don't overspend at the grocery store. You may not need to know quadratic equations to balance your checkbook, unless it's my checkbook. :unsure:

Likewise, knowing what notes and chords are in what keys (major & minor). What a relative minor or major key is, how to use a capo (and what it is doing), etc. can really go a long way in moving you on in your guitar playing adventure.

Keep Playing
Ric
Ric:

That is where I lie as well. Math has always been very easy, and I love it. Now, I love music too, but I don't know that I have ever really taken a step by step approach to learning. When I took lessons for the first time, my first bit of homework was to write out all of the major scales and then come up with all of the triad chords and their properties (ie. major/minor). I found that kind of fun, and it stuck with me. We then went on to add the 7th's and that was o.k. too. Where I get lost, is in scale knowledge and key knowledge. The application of what I know is a bit more confusing, I guess. Guess it would be like trying to do word problems for those who don't like math.....:huh:

I am really hoping to work on changing this...

MJ

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:35 am

I have posted this on the theory group, but here is a very good site to get some theory lessons at, and it's FREE.

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.php?page=theory

Ric

wrench

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 pm

I've always believed that music and mathematics go hand in hand, so I just gotta know....

is anyone out there interested in and open minded to music theory, but poor at math?

BigBear

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:31 pm

wrench wrote:
I've always believed that music and mathematics go hand in hand, so I just gotta know....

is anyone out there interested in and open minded to music theory, but poor at math?

I'm just the opposite! I've always been told that too but I'm a civil engineer and I'm pretty good with math IMHO and music theory doesn't come easy to me at all. So I think it's b.s. frankly!

That being said, I'm still trying to learn it!! :cheer:

AndyT

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 am

I'm horrible with math. If I add 2+2 and get 3 twice in a row I'm having a great day!
But I'm not doing too badly with music theory. I have not spent as much time on it as I should, but I'm discovering the more I play, the easier it gets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic