Ideas for Theory Lessons

rcsnydley

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Perhaps I should give links to articles and sites that I have found (instead of re-inventing the wheel) and then fielding questions.

I'm open for suggestions.

Ric

eagle670

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Ric - you might want to be careful posting links to other sites. In the forum policy it states "No links to or discussions to someone elses paid product". Now to me that can be intrepreted a couple of different ways. Matt will be all over you like a cheap suit if he feels like you have step over the rule.

By the way that is a great link you put up. If posting links becomes an issue, we could do it privately through personal emails.

Thanks!

BRBbrb

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 pm

I respect that answer. Performing w/ others requires a certain skill level & so many of the great players started as session musicians. Sounds like a big undertaking tho; I vote for the group format.

haoli25

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:17 pm

With the number of software engineers in the TG Forum, I am surprised that we don't have an interactive guitar theory program or at least a software reference program. It's only a matter of time before someone makes their fortune with such an endeavor. I hope it's a TG member.

Bill

BigBear

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:11 pm

haoli25 wrote:
With the number of software engineers in the TG Forum, I am surprised that we don't have an interactive guitar theory program or at least a software reference program. It's only a matter of time before someone makes their fortune with such an endeavor. I hope it's a TG member.

Bill

If it isn't dirt, rocks or concrete I'm not much help!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm

BigBear wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
I was thinking about starting either a thread with music theory lessons or perhaps a music theory group.

There is so much to cover though and I'm at a loss as to where to begin so I am looking for some help. If members could tell me what they would like to see as short theory articles. Do you think a thread or a group would be better? Or anything else you can come up with.

I was thinking of starting it the beginning of next week if I can so any input will be much appreciated.

Ric
Ric- I would suggest, and I'm not sure how you do this, but answer the question "What theory does a guitarist really need?" And what theory is needed at various skill levels.

The problem with theory is that it typically gets provided through a fire hose when guitarists may only want a sip at a time! So we end up overwhelmed and incredibly frustrated.

So what is the sequence of theory a guitarist should learn? Do you learn the notes of the fingerboard or do you learn the pentatonic scale first? Do you learn the Circle of Fifths or the difference in modes? Chord construction or notes in a key? You get the idea.

If you could approach theory from a different perspective you would really be on to something valuable. And I think the questions that frequently pop up here are proof that guitarists are begging for a different approach!

Rick
Training Design 101.

In Training Design, which is essentially what you are alluding too, you often start with the Outcome you desire and then work it backwards much as Bear says what is it that we need and when.

When you have your list of things 'Theory needed by guitarists' thats your outcome, you prioritise them in a chronological order and establish learning objectives which are comprised of key points or Teaching point (even called enabling objectives). To do this is generally the work of a group of SME's (Subject Matter Experts) and interested others in a focus group to get balance and also people who need the outcome,hello ask what it is they need!! A group of people is best cos if its one persons thought's it more difficult to get buy-in but if its a group and a balanced view you have a better chance of success.

haoli25

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 pm

BigBear wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

Bill

If it isn't dirt, rocks or concrete I'm not much help!! :lol:

Hey, that's always a good start!

As for the software angle, I was reading awhile back that when the developers at Arobas Music first came up with the idea of Guitar Pro they met with more than a little resistance to the idea. "Who needs another TAB program, everyone knows that TABS are FREE." That product to manage to find a market, as a matter of fact, I own a copy. I think musicians and songwriters would be interested in a good product based on music theory.

Bill

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 am

This needs to be in a group. I'll be happy to start it.
And once its started, I think we should follow the basic outline Chas just gave.

I'll be happy to help since I feel confidant I can tell you what I don't know. LOL

wrench

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Ric,

I think you have a great idea in mind here.

I started to study music theory in a very focused fashion before I discovered TG, and it was austere to say the least. I would have succeeded, but with zero flags of fun, where TG is six flags of fun.

Neil's dose of theory with each song resonates in my mind as the greatest "this medicine tastes good" trick I have ever seen. I think a forum / group approach is a natural extension, and is just right for this unique TG group.

Chas and Bear were spot on with comments and ideas, and from a beginner's perspective I would like to say the first material I would like to see is a set of definitions.

wrench

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

wrench wrote:
Ric,

I think you have a great idea in mind here.

I started to study music theory in a very focused fashion before I discovered TG, and it was austere to say the least. I would have succeeded, but with zero flags of fun, where TG is six flags of fun.

Neil's dose of theory with each song resonates in my mind as the greatest "this medicine tastes good" trick I have ever seen. I think a forum / group approach is a natural extension, and is just right for this unique TG group.

Chas and Bear were spot on with comments and ideas, and from a beginner's perspective I would like to say the first material I would like to see is a set of definitions.

wrench
Hi Ric,

The Group is up and running courtesy of Andy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic