"Name That Key"

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 pm

O.K., I don't really know where to put this, but since it could be helpful for theory, I'll go for here....:huh:

So, as kind of a game and a learning tool, I am wondering if people would ask about some of the songs that they want to learn, and everyone could try and give them just the "key" it is played in (and let them know of it has a key change or uses borrowed chords). From there, it would be up to the person that asked the question to figure out the progressions.

I know it is somewhat subjective (you know - "You can play it with a capo @ the 2nd, etc.), so what key is the original recording in.....

May be a silly idea, but thought I would throw it out there.

I'll go first. "Nothing Left To Lose" by Matt Kearney

Good idea, bad idea, let me know....:unsure:

6string

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 pm

I'd say key of E , starting with a C#m7

the F#m might be 7th-ed in some places??

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:27 pm

6string wrote:
I'd say key of E , starting with a C#m7

the F#m might be 7th-ed in some places??
O.K., so we are talking the following chords:

E / F#min / G#min / A / B / C#min / D#dim

I'll sit down tonight and see what progressions I can come up with. Thanks for responding.

MJ

:)

AndyT

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Its a good idea for ear practice. Doing this will help all of us begin to hear chords.

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:30 pm

AndyT wrote:
Its a good idea for ear practice. Doing this will help all of us begin to hear chords.
Thanks Andy! I was hoping for some fun, but also to gain some serious knowledge here. I have a VERY, VERY difficult time with this stuff. As mentioned on the live broadcast today, Neil said something about "hearing when a song hit the ending, or the period in the sentence. I have a hard time with "Hearing" that sometimes. I am hoping to change that.....:)

AndyT

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:37 pm

I agree that it is in E.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:13 pm

E's got my vote. But the rest of the chords depend on the mode. Although this is either Major/Ionian or Lydian.

6string

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
E's got my vote. But the rest of the chords depend on the mode. Although this is either Major/Ionian or Lydian.
From my limited knowledge of theory, ( and I could be wrong) it not only has to do with what chords are played but
what chord the song resolves to.

AndyT

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm

MJ,

Ever been listening to a song on the radio and it sounds like they cut off the end of it? That is what you are looking for. That 'cut off' feeling is the song not going to its correct resolving chord. When it sounds like they did not cut the song off, then you are hearing the correct resolution.

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:53 pm

AndyT wrote:
MJ,

Ever been listening to a song on the radio and it sounds like they cut off the end of it? That is what you are looking for. That 'cut off' feeling is the song not going to its correct resolving chord. When it sounds like they did not cut the song off, then you are hearing the correct resolution.
Now this is what I am looking for..... thanks for the input guys! I am soaking this in...

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic