learning all the notes in first position

heyjoe

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 am

Hello

Just been watching Neil's video from yesterday, about the news, and the starting of a theory section.

When learning all the natural notes in the first position, using 1 finger per fret, should the B note be played on the 4th fret of the G string (so the 4th finger is used), or should it be played as an open string on the B..or doesn't it make any difference?

Just thought I'd check.

Thanks

Joe

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:30 am

heyjoe wrote:
Hello

Just been watching Neil's video from yesterday, about the news, and the starting of a theory section.

When learning all the natural notes in the first position, using 1 finger per fret, should the B note be played on the 4th fret of the G string (so the 4th finger is used), or should it be played as an open string on the B..or doesn't it make any difference?

Just thought I'd check.

Thanks

Joe
Joe: Don't think it really matters. Probably would be best to mix it up a bit so you can do either at any given time. The more you know the better in these circumstances, would be my guess.

MJ

:)

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:42 am

Music Junkie wrote:
heyjoe wrote:
Hello

Just thought I'd check.

Thanks

Joe
Joe: Don't think it really matters. Probably would be best to mix it up a bit so you can do either at any given time. The more you know the better in these circumstances, would be my guess.

MJ

Not sure it would matter. I would use whatever was easier based on where I was coming from (the previous note) and where I was going (the next note). So it could change depending on what I was playing.

Ric

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 am

To add to my previous post.

That is why it is beneficial to go over the chords and/or solo parts when you are learning (or writing) a song and figure out the best (often the easiest) way to play it.

Ric

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:56 am

rcsnydley wrote:
To add to my previous post.

That is why it is beneficial to go over the chords and/or solo parts when you are learning (or writing) a song and figure out the best (often the easiest) way to play it.

Ric
Yeah Ric, good point. Neil made a comment that artists are usually not looking for the hardest way to play something....lol

:laugh:

goldleaf

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Joe, my 2 cents, I think its would be best to play B in the open position cause it's the only one that tuned 1 or is it 1/2 step lower in relation to the other strings and also playing it open frees up your hand to get ready for your next note, chord or whatever you are going to do. There are exceptions I'm sure but it doesn't get much easier than to play a string Open leaving your left hand free to move. Gary

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:13 pm

I think just the fact that you know the note is there is what Neil is after, know the notes. He's not talking about playing anything in particular its pure and simple know the notes. You've obviously got that so its move onto the next step or consolidate what you know....

Cheers mate

heyjoe

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for the replies everyone

I've just realised that Neil covers this in the following video on natural notes

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... ural-notes

So I'm going to play it on the open string, like Neil does.

No doubt there'll be more theory related questions from me soon

Thanks

Joe

Music Junkie

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 pm

heyjoe wrote:
No doubt there'll be more theory related questions from me soon

Thanks

Joe
Joe: Keep em' coming! Most of the time when a question comes up, I have the same question or need further info on it as well. I love hearing back from everyone and getting different takes on certain questions.

Good stuff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic